Academic Specialist - Design Mentor
Job descriptionJob no: 698493
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: Asc Prv Teaching Learning And Technology
Department: Hub Innov In Learning And Technology 40001001
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories: Non-Union, Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Education/Training, Information Technology
Academic Specialist - Design MentorPosition Summary
Michigan State University is looking to bring highly motivated and diverse mentors with industry and/or academic experience to the Apple Developer Academy. Successful candidates need to be critical thinkers in a fast-paced, flexible environment, and work with the mentor team to create new learning experiences for students in the Apple Developer Academy and associated Foundations Program.
The ideal candidate has experience in UI/UX design, in industry and/or in academic environment. The candidate has hands-on experience in app design and visual style or has been a contributing design team member to an app in the App Store. They must also bring experience and some expertise in teaching, coaching, or mentoring individuals from diverse backgrounds. The candidate must be open to learning and exploring new pedagogical models, and the candidate will be expected to learn alongside students. They will be expected to work with an extended team to build a strong collection of high-quality inclusive teaching practices and materials, including creating technical solutions for in-house use by students and mentors of the Apple Developer Academy and Foundation programs. For more information about the Apple Developer Academy with Michigan State University in Detroit, please visit https://hub.msu.edu/project/apple-developer-academy
- Provide mentorship to students
- Review student deliverables and provide constructive feedback
- Continuously develop own skills and learn with/from colleagues
- Share personal expertise with others
- Occasional evening meetings with teams outside of the Detroit Academy
- Openness to international business travel for professional development, training or collaboration engagements.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.Required Degree
Bachelors -UI/UX DesignDesired Degree
Masters -App DesignMinimum Requirements
- Design: Knowledge of UX and UI principles
- iOS Ecosystem: Familiarity with iOS Human Interface Guidelines
- Formal design experience: Demonstrated job experience or training in a design-related field (e.g., higher education courses, training, certifications, online courses, etc.)
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion: Demonstrated personal or professional commitment or experience engaging with diverse groups of people.
- Knowledge of UX theories and processes
- Knowledge of user research, empathy and understanding, personas, user stories, prototyping, wireframing, etc.
- Knowledge of design principles (e.g., typography, color palettes, etc.)
- Knowledge of accessibility principles
- Experience with brand identity, logo design,or marketing materials among diverse markets.
- Experience with Design Thinking frameworks
- Interest in new pedagogical models (e.g., Challenge Based Learning or experiential learning models)
- Interest in experimenting with new classroom practices
- Interest in empowering a diverse range of students to reach their potential
- Team player with good interpersonal skills
- Experience working in a dynamic, diverse team-based setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated leadership ability
Applicants are required to submit CV and Cover Letter.
Applicants must also respond to the following prompt:
PROMPT: The Apple Developer Academy distinguishes itself from traditional education settings by relying on mentorship as a teaching model--where mentors interact with diverse students to share their professional expertise and practical insight to encourage their creativity and confidence as they develop their own skills. Tell us about a personal or professional connection that made a long-lasting impact on your life. How would you leverage this experience to be a mentor to a diverse range of students in the Academy?Special Instructions
Applications will be reviewed as needed.Website
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Mar 31, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Mar 3, 2023 Eastern Standard Time