Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees.Instructional Technologist Job Description
All employees of Spartanburg Methodist College are entrusted with assisting the College to achieve its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations of all employees.
Organizational Responsibilities: The Instructional Technologist reports to the Associate Provost for Online Strategy.
Job Summary: The Instructional Technologist is a member of the Center for Digital Learning and Innovation (CDLI). This position serves as a primary administrator of SMC’s learning management system (D2L Brightspace) and provides training and support for course faculty and students in the use of college-support learning tools and technologies.
The existing catalog of tools supported at Spartanburg Methodist College include, but are not limited to:
- D2L Brightspace
- Kaltura Media
- Respondus LockDown Browser
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Provide user support to faculty and students with technology issues related to D2L Brightspace, Kaltura Media, Turnitin, Respondus LockDown Browser, ReadSpeaker, and other tools using a help desk service.
- Assist faculty with basic learning tool integrations for external publishers, course packs, test banks, etc. Develop training materials (video tutorials and written tutorials) for faculty, staff, and students on college-supported technology tools.
- Assist with training faculty and other teaching staff on the use of educational technologies.
- Integrate and maintain third-party and custom tools that use LTI (external publisher tools, etc.)
- Import existing online courses each semester in Brightspace, checking for accuracy and updating links and resources.
- Managing appropriate help desk technology support for distance learning compliance.
- Develop a catalog of college-supported and free tools that could aid in a variety of instructional use cases.
- Collaborate regularly with vendors such as D2L, Kaltura, Respondus, etc. regarding open support cases.
- Participates in training events as needed to stay current with online education platforms.
- Maintain support documentation for the above initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Experience working in instructional technology in higher education.
- Experience supporting learning management systems - demonstrated experience with D2L Brightspace and Kaltura Media.
- Familiarity with Respondus Lockdown Browser, Turnitin (anti-plagiarism), and ReadSpeaker (text-to-speech) or similar applications.
- Experience providing technical support with a help desk tool like Fresh Service or similar software.
- Strong technical troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral communication and written technical communication skills.
- Passion for digital education tools and desire to teach others how to use them.
- Experience with video capture and video editing.
- Knowledge of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
- Must be able to communicate effectively with various personality types and levels of understanding.
- Customer service is of utmost importance. We will treat each “customer” with respect and compassion.
- Knowledge of Distance Education, adult learning marketplace online and strong background in computer technology preferred.
- This position requires attention to detail and very good organization and time management.
Working Conditions: This position is remote with some nights and weekends required for on-call duties.
- Manual and physical dexterity and visual acuity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on a computer display screen, in hand-written form, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and remotely.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Instructional Design or a similar discipline. Experience using D2L Brightspace as an administrator is a must.HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a letter of interest, resume and list of three (3) references to:
Director of Human Resources
Spartanburg Methodist College
1000 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301.
Application materials may also be submitted electronically to [email protected]
- Application open until filled.
FLSA: Full-Time, 37.5 hours per week, Non-exempt
Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff members.
This job description provides a representative summary of the nature and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities which may be modified at any time. The job description is not intended to imply or to create a contract of employment.