Job Title: Accountant II
Location: UNG-Dahlonega, GA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 225512
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.Job Summary
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for an Accountant II on the Dahlonega campus. The Accountant II position performs various accounting and accounts payable (AP) duties for the Comptroller's Office. The position will be responsible for analyzing journal entries for correct treatment with respect to the comprehensive financial statements prior to posting, which includes identifying and correcting errors related to hundreds of General Ledger (GL) accounts, funds, budget references, and other fields as appropriate. Accountant II is responsible for audit preparation, with particular emphasis on the checklist required by the Board of Regents, which involves preparation of audit documents for all GL accounts.
Occasional late evenings and /or Saturday work required at peak times & during summer hours. Heavier work load during summer months from May - August.Responsibilities
- Scrutinizing journal entries for proper treatment with respect to the financial statements, as well as audit documentation requirements. Correcting (when applicable) and posting those journal entries in a timely manner.
- Analyzing POs to ensure ongoing progress, timely payments, and possible substitutions for funds remaining on prior year POs where the initial project was completed for less than anticipated. Requires continuous monitoring for changes to prior year surplus. Also tracking retainages and other pertinent audit information related to POs.
- Reconciling accounts and correcting errors, where appropriate, to ensure proper financial statement treatment, and presentation in accordance with audit guidelines.
- Running queries and evaluating data in Excel to ensure proper 1099 tax treatment of payments throughout the AP workflow, which requires analysis of entity classification and payment type from a tax perspective.
- Recommends improvements to existing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with state, federal and other applicable regulations. Assists with implementation of new GASB accounting pronouncements as required.
- Creates queries in PeopleSoft and modifies using Excel functionality (including pivot tables) to prepare open records and other accounts payable data requests for various departments on campus.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of accounting principles and understanding of the comprehensive financial statements.
- Attention to detail is critical.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritizes workload, and meets deadlines.
- Ability to make suggestions for new policies and procedures or recommend changes to improve efficiency and accuracy.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two (2) years of experience in accounting procedures required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Software.
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel required (including pivot tables).
- Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance discipline preferred.
- PeopleSoft Financials preferred.
- Cover letter
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with the University of North Georgia, as determined by University of North Georgia in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.Special Applicant Instructions
- Please submit contact information for three professional references.