Scientific Data Curator 1 (2 Year Fixed Term/2 Openings)
Scientific Data Curator 1 (2 Year Fixed Term/2 Openings)🔍School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States📁Information Analytics📅Mar 30, 2021 Post Date📅88981 Requisition #We are seeking two positions for an Associate Biocuration Scientist in the Cherry lab in the Department of Genetics at Stanford University.
We build and maintain cutting edge web portals for the scientific community. An online resource serves education and scientific research communities via the Saccharomyces Genome Database (https://yeastgenome.org), this includes an extensive online data warehouse. The project is funded via the National Institutes of Health. Our goals include understanding, tracking and analyzing the genetics of basic biological research on model organism systems (https://cherrylab.stanford.edu/saccharomyces-genome-database). This project is a component of the Alliance Central project to unify the data and software of model organism databases (https://alliancegenome.org).
Qualified candidates are expected to contribute to curation of the literature, including information submitted directly by the research community, testing of the data and website to maintain quality, and providing support to our users via email and social media. Duties include:
- Collect, analyze and interpret information from peer-reviewed scientific journals and/or through direct submissions by applying specific scientific content knowledge. Abstract data into the required format, verify for accuracy. Review complex, scientific submissions to the database for quality and relevancy; abstract information in the required formats. Review, research and resolve quality control reports findings. Conduct independent research of scientific literature and other available research to add content to the database and identify upcoming research opportunities.Develop documentation regarding effective use of the database for user community, typically professors, students and citizen scientists.Research and ensure resolution of user inquiries such as content and website issues. Test new functionality with software to determine issues. Escalate and follow up on identified issues.Maintain quality control and integrity of databases and query tools for data mining as part of a collaborative team based on technical content expertise in a scientific field, such as molecular biology or chemistry.Contribute to the preparation of reports and publications regarding research progress by researching data/statistics and investigating errors or changes of data are accurate. Create and participate in presentations and demonstrations of the database at conferences or other institutions.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):Bachelor’s degree in scientific field and one year of related experience, or combination of relevant experience. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Solid analytical skills.Strong written and oral English communication skills.Computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheet applications.Ability to understand scientific literature, experimental procedures and their limitations, and current needs of the research community.
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, seated work and use light/ fine grasping.Occasionally stand, walk, and write by hand, lift, carry, push pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- May work extended or non-standard hours based on project or business needs. Occasional local travel may be required.Some work may be performed in a laboratory setting.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4181
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: F
- Department URL: http://genetics.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 88981