HVAC/R Mechanic I
Job no: 495114
Work type: Regular Full-Time
Location: Stratford, New Jersey
Categories: Facilities - Maintenance
Performs a variety of maintenance repairs and replace HVAC/Refrigeration equipment using diagrams, sketches, and operation manuals or manufacturers specifications. Oversees other Mechanics and Helpers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Operates, maintains and repairs heating, ventilation and air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, (HVAC/R).
- Respond to HVAC/R trouble calls within facility using hand and power tools and analyzing measuring and testing instruments.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance on machinery and HVAC/R equipment.
- Inspects and tests HVAC/R equipment components, controls, regulators, motors, compressors, piping and all HVAC/R system end devices such as valves, relays, regulators, compressors, strainers, dampers, damper operators, etc.
- Install, replace and repair HVAC/R equipment component controls, regulators, motors, compressors, piping, refrigeration cabinets, doors, and hardware and varied storage compartments, including seals, gaskets, locks, hinges, insulation replacements, oils, grease, all HVAC/R end devices, air filters and performs other maintenance duties on movable parts.
- Prepares the required records, reports and work orders pertaining to HVAC/R equipment, refrigerant materials used, work performed and time spent.
- Prepares or works from sketches, plans and specifications in accordance with the HVAC/R standards.
- Services all refrigerant appliances and equipment, refrigerators, freezers, room and commercial air conditioning equipment, ice makers and drinking water coolers, trouble shoots and makes necessary repairs, utilizing knowledge of test and reclaiming equipment, as defined by EPA 40-CFR.
- Interprets graphic symbols used on HVAC/R drawings.
- Estimates and orders material required and prepares costs.
- Ensures that HVAC/R equipment and systems kept clean and orderly.
- May assign layout and guide HVAC/R work for helpers and mechanics.
- Keeps work areas clean and orderly.
- Performs other Facility related duties as required, which may include, but are not limited to snow removal and/or other related facility duties.
- Understands and adheres to all applicable Rowan SOM compliance standards as they appear in all relevant corporate compliance, code of conduct, and conflict of interest policies.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Interacts with persons of all ages in a diverse, multicultural environment with respect and consideration.
- Performs final check and clean up at end of shift.
- Performance must exhibit good customer service skills and teambuilding by cultivating and maintaining rapport with customers and co-workers.
- Presents a clean uniform appearance.
- Keeps records of equipment, materials used, work done and time spent.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed must be representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensure, experience, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Technical school diploma or equivalent level of knowledge, five (5) years of experience in the operation and maintenance of varied types of modern HVAC, and refrigeration equipment in an industrial, educational or health care facility. Basic knowledge of blue print reading and the ability to read and interpret schematic drawings is required, through knowledge of local, state and national codes. Must have an EPA Certificate, 40-CFR, Part 82, Subpart F., Universal Certification.
Position requires the individual to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms and climb or balance up to 2/3 of the time; to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, to talk or hear and to taste or smell less than 1/3 of the time; to lift a weight or exert force from 10 to 25 pounds up to 2/3 of the time, from 50 pounds to over 100 pounds less than 1/3 of the time. Ability to perform physical labor without restrictions, including lifting equipment in excess of fifty (50) pounds, performing work on roofs, scaffolding and ladders. The position requires close, distance and color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception as well as the ability to adjust focus.
The individual in this position may be exposed to environmental conditions such as wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work near moving mechanical parts, work in high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat or cold (non-weather), risk of electrical shock, and vibration up to 2/3 of the time; to risk of radiation less than 1/3 of the time. Moderate noise is typical for the work environment of this job.
SALARY: Minimum is $28.65/hour
NOTE: Only completed, online applications submitted on or before the deadline will be considered.
Advertised: Mar 31 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Apr 14 2021 11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time