Research Supervisor, Laboratory
The University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center (UMGCCC) seeks a Lab Research Supervisor to manage a dedicated clinical research lab within the Stoler Outpatient Pavilion that performs phlebotomy, specimen processing, and testing using FDA approved research protocols and laboratory manuals for patients enrolled in clinical trials. This position supervises three full-time medical assistants and is also responsible for the ordering and inventory of protocol-specific kits used in testing.
- Responsible for supervising the day-to-day operations and staff of a research laboratory and providing administrative and technical support to research activities.
- Supervise laboratory staff of three full-time Medical Assistants including training, scheduling, coordinating and delegating work, monitoring and evaluating performance.
- Directly responsible for the ordering and inventory of research lab kits, as well as ensuring software database solution (Slope) matches shelf stock.
- Works directly with patients to obtain blood specimens through venipuncture and/or finger sticks, as well as other testing which includes but is not limited to blood pressure, urinalysis, electrocardiogram, and spun hematocrit.
- Processes samples collected using centrifuge according to research protocol and laboratory manual, as well as label, store, and ship samples collected.
- May provide for establishment or development of laboratory by evaluating equipment or machinery to be ordered, planning interactions with IT systems, and drafting Standard Operating Procedures for using new equipment.
- Performs independent projects. Compile, analyze, and interpret research data and/or test information and research techniques and records/reports results.
- May prepare or assist with the preparation of manuscripts, scientific illustrations, and journal articles and grant proposals.
- In the event of lab deviation or error, works with clinical staff to document and report as needed to appropriate regulatory bodies.
- Maintains appropriate CITI, HIPPA, Biosafety training as well as other credentialing needed to serve as a designated member of the clinical research team.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Flex working hours and occasional weekend work may be needed to accommodate patient sample scheduling.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or field of study related to the research of the laboratory.Experience: Five (5) years of experience in laboratory research; Experience as a medical assistant or phlebotomist is preferred but not required Supervisory Experience: One (1) year of direct supervision or responsibility for training, work coordination, and monitoring the work of others.Other: May consider a combination of directly related experience and education.Required Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.General knowledge of the principles of aseptic techniques and infection control including blood and body fluid precautions. General knowledge, skills, and ability to administer medications, assist with treatments, and operate medical equipment. General knowledge of and ability to meet the requirements for compliance with confidentiality of records and communications regarding clients. Skill and ability to use aseptic and sterile techniques; to interact with the public, health care providers, agencies, and facilities. Ability to perform extensive standing and walking; to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to operate standard office equipment.Other: Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.If you need a reasonable accommodation for a disability, for any part of the employment process, please contact us at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center
Job Posting: Mar 31, 2021
Unposting Date: Apr 20, 2021, 10:59:00 PM