Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs (Professional Studies)
Department: Professional Studies
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Mar 31, 2021
Ref No.: 129546
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at several satellites and instructional sites throughout the Greater Boston area. The largest of the 15 community colleges in Massachusetts, BHCC serves some 18,000 students annually, focusing on holistic student services to ensure student retention and persistence. The College offers certificates and associate degrees, early college and dual enrollment, non-credit community and corporate training, and industry-specific training programs. BHCC is the 8th most diverse higher education institution in the United States, and is an Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. Bunker Hill is also a Hispanic Service Institution, defined as an institution that has an enrollment of undergrad full-time equivalent students that is at least 25 percent Hispanic students. Approximately 1000 international students attend from 100 countries, speaking more than 75 languages.
The Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, assigned to the Division of Professional Studies, is part of BHCC's academic leadership team and works under the supervision of and in consultation with the Dean of Professional Studies in the operation of the academic division. The Assistant Dean is also part of a team of academic and student affairs administrators whose shared focus is the development, implementation and support of innovative academic and co-curricular initiatives that promote student access, equity and achievement.
With these goals in mind, the Assistant Dean provides administrative support and leadership for a variety of departments and work areas including Business Administration, Computer Information Technology, Computer Media Technology, Criminal Justice and Public Safety, Early Childhood Education, Hospitality, Paralegal and Legal Studies, Visual Media Arts, and Internships and Career Development. Responsibilities include student support, planning, new program and curriculum development, program assessment, scheduling, budgeting, faculty development, and development and maintenance of articulation and other agreements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide Support for the Division Dean:
- Provide leadership and oversight for divisional activities including student recruitment, enrollment, retention and completion.
- Support curricular and co-curricular program development, implementation, assessment, and revision grounded in a framework of equity and cultural wealth.
- Manage core divisional programs as determined by the dean as well as college-wide projects as determined by the dean and Associate Provost.
- Compile, evaluate and report on relevant data that support assessment and program improvement.
- Assist in the administration of the divisions, including: office management; budgets, data and related reports; and requests for information related to collective bargaining and other Human Resource matters.
- Work with the dean to develop and revise the master schedule of courses, in collaboration with department chairs, by preparing and evaluating supporting data.
- Serve as a division liaison to BHCC work areas including Academic Records, Student Central, the Dean of Students Office and Advising and LifeMap.
2. Provide Support for Department Chairs, Directors and Program Coordinators:
- Collaborate with deans and administrative support staff to design and implement professional development and training.
- Support the program review process, including identification of programs scheduled for program review, preparation of supporting data, and coordination of the external evaluation process.
3. Provide Support for Divisional Faculty:
- Participate in hiring processes, orientation and onboarding.
- Ensure that relevant college policies and procedures are followed.
- Respond to faculty concerns.
- Review course materials and syllabi.
- Conduct classroom observations for adjunct faculty.
- Coordinate professional development and engagement activities.
- Manage relevant communications.
4. Provide Support for Students in the Division:
- Implement academic policies and procedures.
- Respond to student concerns with an asset-based approach.
- Manage relevant communications.
- Master's Degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Experience with grants administration, career technical education or community partnerships
- Teaching experience
- Demonstrated management, supervisory and leadership experience
- A minimum of three years relevant experience working in higher education administration
- Demonstrated commitment to a student-centered environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to work with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize work effectively
- Proven ability to promote collaboration across departments and work areas
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, strategically, and creatively
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Master's Degree or Doctorate in an area of study within the Division of Professional Studies
- Teaching experience at the college level
- Experience in a collective bargaining environment
- Teaching or work experience at a community college
- Experience using assessment data and analysis for decision-making
- Experience with Student Information and Customer Relations Management Systems and advanced functions of Microsoft applications
- Demonstrated success in leading teams to reach established goals
Salary Range: $85,000.00-$95,000.00
Open until filled, to ensure consideration, application materials must be received by April 23, 2021.
To be considered for this position please upload the following documents to your account:
- Cover Letter
Please be sure to address the Required Qualifications in your documents.
If you need assistance applying through this website please contact our online Help Desk HERE