Lecturer in Theatre
Lecturer in TheatreJob Description Summary, Duties and Responsibilities, Required Qualifications and Preferred Qualifications:
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The search will remain open until the position has been filled. First consideration will be given to applications received by April 19th, 2021. Second consideration may be given to applications received by April 28th, 2021. Applications received subsequent to second consideration date (April 28th, 2021) may not be given full consideration.
The Department of Theatre in the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Rhode Island invites applications for a full-time position of Lecturer in Theatre with specialization in Acting and Performance. This position is to begin Fall 2021 and is limited to one year with anticipated renewal.
The Lecturer in Theatre will teach a total of 12 credits per semester (typically in the form of four 3-credit courses) and will assist the Theatre Department and Tenure Track Assistant Professor of Performance with program development, recruitment, and advising. Candidates must have the ability to teach courses in Acting at multiple levels, from beginning acting courses to upper-level styles. Successful candidates will have expertise in two or more sub-specialties of performance, such as: Voice, Movement, Dance, Stage Combat, Acting for Musical Theatre, and/or Acting for the Camera. Topics in Theatre History (non-Western Drama, History of Activist and Political Theatre, etc. ) and Core Theatre studies (Script Analysis, Intro to Theatre, etc.) will be explored based on candidate’s interests, experience, and pedagogy.
Assigned course work will be in combination with the Dean, Chair, Tenure-Track Performance Faculty, and the department-at-large.
Opportunities for additional course work in J-Term (Winter) and Summer sessions may be available for additional compensation, as needed by the Theatre Department and the College of Arts and Sciences.
Lecturers are not expected to engage in research activities, however, lecturers are required to remain current in their disciplines. Course release for production-based positions could be available as approved by the Dean of Arts and Sciences and the Chair of the Theatre Department.
Only applicants with a terminal degree in theatre, (MFA or Ph.D.) will be considered. Previous university-level teaching experience in Acting is required. Applicants should have significant professional experience as a theatre artist in the field of performance/acting.
The University of Rhode Island and the Department of Theatre are deeply committed to cultivating an academic, working, and living environment that promotes inclusive excellence: through policy-making, programming, critical conversations, thoughtful action, and collaboration between administration, faculty, staff, and students. The Department of Theatre is interested in candidates who have demonstrated commitment to excellence by providing leadership in building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
-Teach courses in the field of Acting.
-Teach courses in Performance related courses, such as: Voice, Movement, Dance,Stage Combat, Acting for Musical Theatre, and/or Acting for the Camera.
- Core courses in Theatre Studies (Script Analysis, Intro to Theatre, Ethical Dilemmas inContemporary Theatre, or varied Theatre History Courses) will be explored based on the candidates pedagogy and interests.
- Engage in high-quality instruction in a diverse and inclusive environment with students of varying learning styles, cultures, identities, and experience.
- Strategize with the department and performance faculty, to investigate and further develop a laddered system Acting instruction.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and standards of the department,college, and university.
- Work with faculty and staff in developing programming, course curriculum revision,and departmental structures.
- Mentor student project work.
- Be in residence and available, at least, four days a week.
1. Terminal Degree (M.F.A. or Ph.D.) in the field of Theatre, with an emphasis Acting/Performance.
2. Evidence of undergraduate instruction and demonstrated ability to teach multiple levels of Acting courses at the undergraduate level.
3. Demonstrated and distinguished activity in the field of Acting/ Performance.
4. Demonstrated interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
5. Demonstrated associated course work in performance, such as: Voice, Movement, Dance, Stage Combat, Acting for Musical Theatre, and/or Acting for the Camera.
6. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups and populations.
1. Demonstrated associated course work in general Core Courses in Theatre Studies (Script Analysis, Intro to Theatre, Ethical Dilemmas in Contemporary Theatre, or varied Theatre History Courses).
2. Demonstrated experience in interdisciplinary collaborations.
The University of Rhode Island is an AA/EEOD employer. Women, persons of color, protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other protected groups are encouraged to apply.Union:
AAUP - American Assoc of Univ ProfessorsStatus :
Academic Year, Full-time, Non-tenure-track, LimitedEnd Date of Restriction or Limitation:
Position is full-time academic year non-tenure track, limited to 06/18/2022, with anticipated renewal.Department:
Please note: Job applications must be submitted directly online only at: (https://jobs.uri.edu)Campus Location:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach the following 6 (PDF) documents to your online Faculty Employment Application:
(#1) Cover letter addressing the qualifications for the position (as one complete pdf doc).
(#2) Curriculum vitae, which should also include the names and contact information of three professional references (as one complete pdf doc).
(#3) “Document 1” – A two page statement of teaching philosophy including interests, approaches, and experiences (as one complete pdf doc).
(#4) “Document 2” – A one to two page statement on diversity, equity and inclusion within the classroom and the arts (as one complete pdf doc).
(#5) “Resume”- Performance and production theatrical resume (as one complete pdf doc).
(#6) “Letter Of Recommendation”- ONE letter of recommendation for the position, speaking toward expertise and pedagogy.
NOTE: Additional letters of recommendation are Not required at the time of application, but may be requested after application.Position Number:
03/30/2021Open Until Filled:
YesQuicklink for Posting: