Senior Development Officer
Senior Development Officer
Posting Number: S01544
The Senior Development Officer increases Middlebury's fundraising capacity through the successful cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a pool of prospective donors with the capacity to make gifts of $100,000 and more. The SDO is also responsible for assessment of selected prospects on an ongoing basis. The majority of the SDO's time will be spent cultivating and soliciting alumni, parents, and friends of the institution through in-person and digital media. The managed portfolio will include assignments requiring domestic and some international travel, predominantly to Asia. This position may be remotely based, with the expectation of regular travel for donor visits as well as for periodic team meetings in Vermont.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check
• Maintain oversight of a portfolio of Leadership Gifts prospects (capacity ratings of $100,000+), with responsibility for qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. Portfolio will focus on individuals based in the United States and in Asia.
• Negotiate gifts of greatest possible value to the institution.
• Build and advance strong personal and professional relationships with alumni, parents, and friends of Middlebury that result in philanthropic contributions; serve as a resource, advocate, and spokesperson for development programs at Middlebury.
• Work independently and creatively to match donor interests with institutional priorities, develop funding proposals, and negotiate and structure complex gifts.
• Possess superior communication skills with the ability to connect to a variety of audiences; clarity, crispness, and persuasiveness in written and oral communications.
• Resourceful, goal-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, high degree of creativity, and sound judgment.
• Ability to lead and navigate effectively in a complex environment; the desire and ability to build bridges and strong relationships with members of the external community.
• Prepare briefings, proposals, and other correspondence for prospects, collaborating with Advancement colleagues and other campus partners; collaborate with Donor Relations to develop stewardship plans and compose stewardship communications.
• Solicit an annual gift for each prospect, either through a personal visit, solicitation by a volunteer, or through Annual Giving programs.
• Motivate and support volunteers to make cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship calls.
• Partner with other areas of Advancement, specifically, Annual Giving, Parent Giving, Graduate Giving, Principal Giving, and Planned Giving to strategize about donor cultivation and solicitation.
• Ensure the timely capture and recording of data related to identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activity for the assigned prospect pool.
• Maintain in-depth knowledge of the institution’s fundraising priorities, academic and extra-curricular programs, and key faculty and administrators; serve as Advancement liaison to a specific institutional program area.
• Collaborate with Advancement colleagues on special fundraising projects and/or events.
• Work cooperatively with others and accept direction from supervisors.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of institutional advancement and advanced fund-raising techniques, including planned giving, essential.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and relational databases.
• Strong writing and verbal skills.
• Ability to collaborate effectively with staff and volunteers.
• Ability to work independently and make decisions (based on best available information?).
• Significant travel required.
• Must handle confidential materials with appropriate discretion.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressively responsible fundraising experience.
- Experience in closing leadership-level gifts is required.
Significant travel required.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information on our background check policy can be found here: http://go.middlebury.edu/backgroundchecks
To apply, visit https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/23104
Middlebury is an equal-opportunity employer where diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values. To this end, Middlebury recruits talented and diverse faculty, staff, and students from across the United States and around the world. Middlebury encourages applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of other protected classes and historically underrepresented communities. Middlebury also invites applications from individuals who demonstrate an ongoing commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency