Waste and Recycling Handler
Waste and Recycling Handler
Posting Number: S01543
Operates and maintains the Material Recovery Facility (MRF) and carries out the campus recycling program. Operates and maintains universal waste and used oil programs.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check and a post-offer pre-employment screening. Please see the physical demands section for additional information.
- Sorts co-mingled recyclables and removes contamination.
- Operates baler, processes and bales recyclables.
- Operates forklift and associated equipment to load/unload tractor trailers.
- Performs campus recycling collection using large vehicles including one-ton trucks and box trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds or less.
- Supervises and trains up to 30 student employees and other staff involved with MRF operation.
- Maintains records of waste and recyclable volumes, labor expenditures and shipping information.
- Cleans and maintains the MRF and associated equipment.
- Maintains universal waste and used oil programs to ensure proper storage and labeling.
- Conducts required inspections and maintains inventories to comply with state and federal regulations.
- Attends RCRA and DOT trainings as required.
- Interacts appropriately with the customer.
- Prepares daily work order log.
- Secures building at end of shift, locks doors and turns out lights.
- Answers inquiries regarding hours, schedules, recycling procedures, etc.
- Collects money from reuse trailer sales, makes change and accounts for money collected.
- Works cooperatively with others and accepts
direction from supervisors.
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner and in accordance with established Middlebury College and departmental practices and procedures.
- Responsible for cleaning up any blood spills/accidents using procedures.
- Picks up and shreds confidential documents.
- Delivers compostable and waste products to designated areas.
- Performs associated Facilities Services maintenance work as requested, including, but not limited to: snow removal, event set-up and clean-up, truck loading and unloading and grounds maintenance.
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist department in obtaining and maintaining its mission.
On-the-job training provided. High school diploma or GED preferred. Must be willing to attend RCRA and DOT training and pass associated tests.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic equipment operation. Knowledge of safe working and lifting practices and procedures.
- Must have a fork-lift certification or the ability to obtain.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, ability to obtain a Middlebury College license, a good driving record and good driving skills are required. Must be able to safely operate large vehicles (up to 26,000 GVWR) including the ability to safely back large vehicles using mirrors.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Must be available to work flexible shifts and overtime if necessary. Ability to work Saturdays and Sundays as part of a regular or rotating work shift.
- Must be able to make change.
Minimum 2 years previous work experience.
Click here to view the full physical demand requirements for this position. (Category P screen)
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information on our background check policy can be found here: http://go.middlebury.edu/backgroundchecks
To apply, visit https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/23084
Middlebury is an equal-opportunity employer where diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values. To this end, Middlebury recruits talented and diverse faculty, staff, and students from across the United States and around the world. Middlebury encourages applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of other protected classes and historically underrepresented communities. Middlebury also invites applications from individuals who demonstrate an ongoing commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency