Life Science Research Processional 1
Life Science Research Processional 1
Job Number: 88972
The Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences seeks a full-time Life Science Research Professional 1 (LSRP) to work in a laboratory whose primary focus is the understanding of how deregulation of cytoskeleton contribute to cellular dysfunctions and disease progression. The LSRP will be primarily responsible for cell culturing experiments to test cellular pathways, maintaining mouse breeding logs and colony databases, administering experimental therapeutics, assisting with data analyses. The LSRP will independently run experiments after consultation with a supervisor and will help modify existing techniques and procedures. The LSRP will be responsible for a variety of tasks including genotyping, protein detections, preparing tissue for histological analysis, immunostaining, microscopy, and statistical analysis of data. The LSRP will also be responsible for maintaining detailed experimental records and will provide technical support and training to other laboratory personnel.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
- Prefer a degree in the Biological Sciences.
- The job requires someone who is meticulous, rigorous, and highly organized.
- He/she must have experience with cell culture and in vitro approaches, working with small animals and conducting assessments of mice using molecular biology, cell biology, and other approaches.
- Proficiency in cell culture, microscopies, protein analysis including genotyping, Western blot quantification, immunohistochemistry, and multiplexed protein assays.
- Computer experience with spreadsheet and word processing applications.
- Experience or willingness to learn basic statistical methods.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
- Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent communication and scientific written skills, demonstrated ability to accurately complete and document detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4571
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F
- Department URL: http://med.stanford.edu/neurology/
- Requisition ID: 88972
Location: School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency