Program Coordinator, Professional and Public Programs
Posting #: 3143
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Staff, Continuing Education
Program Coordinator, Professional and Public Programs; Continuing EducationPosting #
The University of San Diego's Division of Professional and Continuing Education (PCE) offers a robust portfolio of courses and programs needed by aspiring professionals that evolves in response to their professional development in the fields of business, education, and health care.University Description:
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
The Program Coordinator provides second-level support to students desiring assistance with any course, program and degree offered through Professional and Continuing Education if the Student Service Center is unable to resolve the issue. Provides direct support to instructors during their application, interview, selection, hiring, and scheduling process – with a keen focus on managing the university guidelines for background checks and HR compliance. Responsible for all aspects of providing services to effectively manage the Credit Validation Program process and act as the official point of contact (POC) for Credit Validation approvals. This includes ensuring accurate information on the website, forms, processes, customer follow-up, faculty grade posting, etc. is completed. Additionally, this position will also be community outreach in order to promote Credit Validation Program to applicable stakeholders. Provides first-level support for returning instructors scheduled to teach regarding their contracts, room requests, and course and enrollment management issues. Trains instructors in the use of the student information system so they can retrieve their rolls and rosters. Trains instructors in the use of the learning management system and electronic document distribution systems. For online programs, the Program Coordinator provides administrative and logistical support regarding educational program issues such as program planning, student consultation and advising, registration, courses selection, ordering course materials/textbooks, class schedules and timing, time management, and the timelines to complete all items regarding their degree program or course of student. Additionally, this position will review all of the online courses in the Learning Management System for quality assurance. Requires excellent communication skills in a fast-paced environment. Calm and effective communication must be provided in order to handle multiple tasks and requests regarding program information and scheduling. Requires a detail-oriented, independent worker who has the ability to collaborate and contribute in a team environment. Schedules courses and sections in the enrollment database, collects all instructor hiring documents, creates and manages instructor contracts for approval, provides instructor training in the student enrollment system, maintains the master course calendar, processes instructor stipends, processes invoices, produces rosters, tracks course and section progress, and supports the development and delivery of all program and curricular needs. Duties may include processing grades, organizing mailings, assisting in marketing efforts, tracking expenses, tracking and posting textbook information, making travel arrangements, and scheduling conference venues. Must have excellent spelling and grammar skills. Must have proven ability to anticipate needs and take initiative. Higher education experience in advising, counseling, or student support required. Proven ability to use computers for business applications, including word-processing, spreadsheets, data management and web-based database and administrative systems software.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Instructor support:
- Coordinates the instructor application, approval, and hiring documentation – including communication and interaction with instructors and references to complete and send required documents and information.
- Serves as first-level support to instructors.
- Responds to email and telephone communication within 24 hours
- Coordinates the contracting process for returning instructors – includes ensuring signed contracts are in place prior to course offering.
- Provides instructor training in student information system for rolls and rosters, in learning management system and electronic document distribution systems.
- Monitors instructor participation in courses – both on-ground and online.
- Drafts instructor stipend documentation and forms.
- Student support:
- Serves as second-level support to students if the Student Service Center is unable to resolve the issue.
- Responds to email and telephone communication within 24 hours.
- Creates and updates the Student Support Timelines and Program Manuals. For online programs (in addition to above):
- Proactively contacts students each day by telephone to build and maintain relationships for student retention.
- Monitors student progress in student orientation. Contacts and verbally guides students through the orientation course if needed.
- Creates a Student Support Timeline (a comprehensive date-ordered list of all administrative and logistical issues that need to be addressed during a given semester) and advises students on administrative deadlines and procedures (registration, drop/withdrawal, course materials, financial aid, etc.) as indicated in the Student Support Timeline.
- Responds to student requests for assistance within 24 hours.
- Monitors and assures timely postings of announcements, assignments, discussion questions, and exams according to the course schedule.
- Contacts each new student by phone for Learning Preparedness Assessment prior to the start of orientation; must speak with at least 90% of all new incoming students.
- Contacts new and returning students regarding registration procedures, orientation, textbooks and materials.
- Communicates re-registration deadlines to all students. Contacts students who stopped out for a semester and works with them to reenter the program.
- Implements a variety of re-entry initiatives to bring inactive students back into the program.
- Provides basic website training and technical support for students.
- Process coordination and execution
- Responds to all inquiries (telephone, Internet, email, walk-in) with courtesy, tact and patience.
- Redirects calls to proper individuals if calls cannot be immediately serviced when answered.
- For Credit Validation process coordination, inform external POC their course is on website and section(s) created
- For Credit Validation process coordination, notify POC section is open for enrollment and share with internal participants
- Follows university policy in communicating and resolving student and instructor issues.
- Manages confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact.
- Takes ownership of the support issue and exhausts all avenues to properly respond to student and instructor requests and communicate with PCE and the university as needed.
- Tracks expenses and keeps program costs within budget limits.
- Orders program supplies as appropriate.
- Updates and maintains department mailing lists.
- Maintains files for every course including instructor contracts, facilities, course evaluations, and student feedback.
- Supports marketing and advertising efforts as needed for course and certificate campaigns.
- Provides course and program updates for the Student Service Center when changes happen or at least monthly.
- Attends all required internal and external professional meetings, telephone conferences, and training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Follows established communication guidelines and protocols and performs all tasks listed in the Student Support Timeline.
- Works with Instructional Designers and Technologists to support course quality assurance.
- Participates in department staff meetings to discuss program opportunities and issues.
- Reviews and monitors Enrollment History and Retention Reports.
- Reviews critical project timelines and reports process to Director.
- Supports and maintains a positive relationship on behalf of Professional and Continuing Education with all instructors and students.
- Manages instructor and student expectations within the business needs and service standards of Professional and Continuing Education.
- Meets or exceeds retention benchmarks for each semester.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Course management (30%; 10% for online coordinators):
- Coordinates the course approval process and documentation.
- Coordinates course scheduling.
- Creates course profile in enrollment system and submits for approval via the established standards and workflow.
- Creates sections in enrollment system to include section profile, instructor assignment, fees, budget, and grading. Submits for approval via the established standards and workflow.
- Coordinates the end-of-course evaluations process- collects and summarizes evaluation data and provides appropriate feedback.
- Performs quality assurance on program website and updates information as needed.
- Schedules classrooms/venues for off-campus programs – while tracking and managing expenses. Alerts supervisors if unable to procure space or meet budget for venues.
- Coordinates the Master Course List (MCL) for all program planning.
- For online programs: proactively monitors course and program development and initiates self-learning activities to stay abreast of course content, program policies, program promotional efforts, and university polices that may impact the program.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required (one year of experience = two years of education).
- Minimum of two years in a position that required critical thinking and analytical skills.
- At least two years experience in customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate needs and take initiative to propose and implement solutions.
- Experience in higher education, advising, counseling, and/or student support roles.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and accurately.
- Demonstrated ability to use web-based student information and customer relationship management tools.
- Demonstrated computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet and data management.
Senior Program Coordinator (in addition to the above)
- Requires Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, plus three years of related experience.
- Minimum of three years in a position that required critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Three or more years in customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to systematically track and analyze feedback, data, and budget information.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and accurately.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Excellent spelling and grammar skills.
- Demonstrates ownership of processes and procedures involving instructor contracting, scheduling, and support.
- Develop relationships with external stakeholders to create awareness around Credit Validation Program within P3 portfolio.
- Maintains high efficiency, accuracy, and completeness when using data systems and data formats.
- Develops full proficiency to accomplish work within the student information system(s).
- Tracks and shares updates to program and course developments within PCE.
- Encourages accountability in a collaborative way with other team members.
- Creates and maintains a job manual with information on all program, processes, and timelines within the portfolio.
Senior Program Coordinator trains Program Coordinators. Proactively anticipates students and instructors inquires and finds solutions to improve operations that affect customer services. Creates FAQs, guides, and seeks training opportunities to stay current with all programs information. Demonstrates ownership of all processes and operational management of courses and programs. Finds ways to improve operational effectiveness and efficiency. Helps Program Coordinators with creating their job manuals.
Special Conditions of Employment:
• Selected candidate can be located in Los Angeles, possibility for remote work available.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Computer/PC, telephone, fax machine, copier, web-based student information, and customer relationship systems – web-based.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Posting Salary:
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]Additional Details:
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: March 29, 2021 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled