Executive Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost
The Southern University and A&M College System is the only historically black system of higher education in the nation. The System consists of academic campuses in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Shreveport, as well as Law and Agricultural Centers located in Baton Rouge. The successful applicant will serve as the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost (EVCAAP) of the Baton Rouge campus.
Position Description and Duties
The Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost (EVCAAP) is a senior level administrator and the University's Chief Academic Officer. As a member of the Executive Cabinet, the EVCAAP reports directly to the President/ Chancellor and manages the day-to-day affairs of the Baton Rouge Campus.
The EVCAAP has broad and comprehensive responsibilities to provide the academic and administrative leadership required to achieve a high standard of excellence in instruction, research and service. Strategies to accomplish these responsibilities include, but are not limited to, strategic academic planning, directing the growth of academic programs, the development of academic policy, fiscal management for the academic enterprise, and advocating for faculty rights and responsibilities. He/she fosters collaboration with faculty, staff, students, and external communities to promote the intellectual and personal development of students through research, use of best practices, and evaluation as means of determining program strength and effectiveness.
The primary responsibilities of the EVCAAP include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Articulates the long-term vision and strategic plan to guide the development of Academic Affairs.
- In consultation with the President Chancellor/ oversees the implementation of the vision for the Baton Rouge Campus.
- Supervises efforts to promote the Principles of Accreditation as outlined by the Southern Association of
Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) and other specialized accreditation bodies.
- Provides leadership in creating a culture of faculty research and scholarship consistent with the level of the
university's program offerings.
- Provides leadership and gives priority to increasing grantsmanship activity at the university.
- Provides leadership for the maintenance of a well-structured and effective institutional assessment program
on the Baton Rouge campus. This effort would include the determination of educational outcomes, provide
evidence of levels of achievement, and the use of results that lead to academic improvement and progress.
- Oversees an assertive and high-priority program for improving retention and graduation rates.
- Fosters and supports innovation and incentive-based faculty and staff initiatives that improve student
development and bring positive visibility to the university in general and to the academic environment.
- Supervises the development, implementation, evaluation, and the periodic update of Baton Rouge Campus'
Academic Master Plan.
- Provides leadership for the development and implementation of appropriate professional
development opportunities for faculty.
- Ensures the development, implementation, and evaluation for a composite plan as well as unit plans and
programs at the level of various campus subdivisions.
- Represents the University in community activities by actively participating in community
organizations which support and strengthen the University's programs and activities.
- Provides leadership to strengthen articulation and collaborative activities with other educational
institutions, including the K-12 system and other higher education institutions, as well as, public
agencies, business, and industry.
- Participates in professional organizations and provides input to those organizations to improve the university's visibility and reputation.
- Acts on behalf of the President/Chancellor in the absence of the chief executive, and at the President/Chancellor's request.
Work Experience Required
- At least five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in academic administrative leadership: Including at least five (5) years successful teaching experience, or equivalent, in an accredited institution of higher education.
- Experience in developing an academic vision and creating effective planning and implementation processes linked to that vision.
- Commitment to collegial, consultative processes in a shared-governance environment.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a complex academic/student service organization.
Interested individuals should send the following items to [email protected]:
- Cover Letter
- Resume'/ Curriculum Vitae
- 3 References
Apply for Executive Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly