Department:: Budget and Accounting Services
Locations:: Des Plaines, IL
Posted:: Mar 22, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full Time Staff
Position ID:: 129247
About Oakton Community College :
For over 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Support the payroll team by coordinating the answering of employee questions, processing basic payroll transactions, and managing the day to day entries into the retirement system of record. Provide timely and accurate customer service. Assist the overall payroll function.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate payroll customer support including organizing employee inquiries, answering basic questions, and forwarding to senior staff as needed.
- Process transactions in the State Universities Retirement System (SURS), such as certifications, separations, terminations, retirements, reporting of leaves, appeals, etc.
- Research and respond timely to inquires from employees, former employees, and SURS.
- Assist in biweekly payroll processing such as employee W4s, direct deposit entry, and other documentation changes.
- Verify revised manual time sheets submitted for changes or incomplete submission of original electronic time sheets and make corrections as appropriate.
- Prepare, balance and submit 941 reports for Federal and State for quarterly submission.
- Process, log, and file wage garnishments.
- Maintain and update bi-weekly W-2 reconciliation and other annual year end submissions for the IRS and Social Security Administration.
- Run and analyze payroll reports as needed.
- Run quarterly reports and process terminations for part time faculty.
- Assist in maintaining procedures, checklists, training guides, workbooks, and other documents.
- Organize and keep current employee payroll files.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- High school education or an equivalent combination of training and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is required. Education or training in accounting, finance, or a related discipline preferred.
- Four years experience in an office required with a demonstrated background in customer service and multitasking. Direct payroll support experience preferred.
- Direct experience with SURS or other retirement program preferred.
- Intermediate level of Microsoft Word and Excel required. Advanced Excel skills including pivot tables preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and experience in a fast paced environment required.
- Ability to learn payroll and college procedures and policies in order to accurately answer questions and resolve issues.
- Ability to learn advanced Excel skills.
Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus. Work is performed in a general office environment and sedentary in nature. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Function supervision is received from the Payroll Manager. Administrative supervision is received from the Controller.
SALARY: $42,223 -Starting salary may change due to the completion of the staff negotiations
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.