Assistant Director of Recruitment & Events
Job no: 495562
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Academic Programs, Student Services
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Assistant Director of Recruitment and Events oversees on-and-off campus recruitment events. This position is responsible for hiring, training, and overseeing the work of a team of Admissions Counselors. This position provides leadership in delivering strong, positive customer service to future students and families.
The Assistant Director assists in meeting enrollment management goals by supervising Admissions Counselors and providing leadership in the ongoing development of effective and high-quality recruitment events. The assistant director ensures that recruitment events, presentations, and publications appropriately target the selected audience by taking into account University brand standards, key talking points, and the enrollment cycle.
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. Sets and delegates day-to-day tasks to achieve operational objectives. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Problems typically involve a single area, process or constituent group. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.Essential Functions:
- Ensure Admissions Counselor staff deliver consistent, accurate, and timely communication (information sessions, event presentations, yield events).
- Train, mentor, and directly supervise Admissions Counselors.
- Manage the flow of information in and out of the service area; including regular communications and collaboration with other enrollment service departments and academic departments.
- Coach and mentor student staff to provide comprehensive services and deliver consistent and accurate information in a positive, timely and efficient manner.
- Coordinate all work schedules to ensure adequate coverage to meet cycle of demand; includes collaborating with other supervisors in the unit to share projects based on priority of projects and level of need.
- Promote and model a positive customer service model; including planning and participating in office-specific and cross-divisional training.
- Effectively communicate university policies to staff; ensure that staff understand and can also articulate university policy to students.
- Participate as an Admissions team member and a member of the Management team; includes weekly management meetings, all staff meetings, assessment activities, annual planning and annual report writing activities.
- Provide input and feedback to the Assistant Director of Communications in the development of recruitment publications as needed, and especially as it relates to best practices around the campus visit experience.
- Interpret and apply university policy; understand and articulate internal office processes as well as key components of other enrollment services departments (New Student Programs, Registrar’s and Financial Aid), and other offices as they relate to the overall enrollment process.
- Collaborate with other enrollment service departments and provide leadership to support a positive customer service orientation.
- Counsel and advise Admissions staff regarding campus visits, admission, enrollment services, and university policies, using a high level of independent judgment.
- Manage and support the planning and coordination of off-campus and on-campus activities
- Support and provide guidance on implementation of large-scale recruitment programs (Discover Boise State, Showcases, Previews, Daily Campus Visit Program, Bronco Day, etc.)
- Provide leadership in the ongoing development of effective and high-quality recruitment events; including accurately assessing needs, researching best practices nationally and implementing new strategies in collaboration with the Associate Director.
- Remain current in knowledge and understanding of National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) best practices, and state of Idaho policies. Specific examples include: FERPA (Family Rights and Privacy Act) and State Board of Education policies
- Demonstrated ability in providing quality customer service
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to work in an automated environment
- Previous experience with PeopleSoft, Slate, and an imaging system preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to understand and follow university and state guidelines
- Supervisory skills
- Knowledge of Boise State academic programs and student life areas
- Customer service, diplomacy, marketing
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- A Master's Degree
- 3 years experience in higher education (Enrollment Services office preferred), 1 year of supervisory experience
Salary starts at $57,000 depending on experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Please provide a cover letter indicating interest and qualifications for the role as well as a resume with employment history. The application process includes providing the contact information for 3 professional references.
Advertised: March 29, 2021
Applications close: April 19, 2021