Internal Search for Associate Dean of the College of Environment, Forestry and Natural Sciences
Job Title: Internal Search for Associate Dean of the College of Environment, Forestry and Natural Sciences
Location: Col Environment, For & Nat Sci
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605309
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
INTERNAL ONLY POSITION - This position is only open to current tenured faculty at Northern Arizona University.
This position is located on the Flagstaff Mountain Campus.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the College of the Environment, Forestry & Natural Sciences is a full-time appointment that reports to the Dean of the College. This position is a fiscal-year appointment with a start date of July 1, 2021. The position is eligible for renewal thereafter, pending satisfactory performance. The position is responsible to oversee all issues related to curriculum and instruction in the broadest possible terms, and serves as a key member of the Executive Leadership Group of the College.
The following list describes the major job functions that encompass the position responsibilities, but will be modified as needed and appropriate by the Dean of the College.
- Contribute to development of the CEFNS mission, vision, and strategic plan in collaboration with the Dean, Chairs and Directors, and faculty;
- Contribute to planning and application for new academic programs and degrees in partnership with the Dean, Chairs and Directors;
- Represent the College on University committees, including the Academic Associate Dean’s Academy (ACADA), and others as needed;
- Lead and coordinate CEFNS recruitment efforts, such as Discover NAU Days
- Assist the Dean in monitoring of faculty workloads and evaluation of hiring priorities
- Represent the College in the Dean’s absence (travel, vacation) as needed.
Curriculum & Course Management:
- Convene the College Curriculum and Assessment Committee (CAC), oversee the CAC website and coordinate with other University offices to facilitate CAC activities; Serve as the CEFNS point of contact for all course and curriculum management matters including course scheduling, classroom use, course capacity, and multi-term enrollment;Provide support and leadership for academic program review including coordination of all processes, activities, and reporting;
- Work with the Dean, Chairs and Directors, and the Graduate College to promote and enhance quality undergraduate and graduate education;
- Serve as the CEFNS liaison for Student Support Services, Career Development, Office of Undergraduate Research and University Advising, and other Academic Success units, as needed;
- Work with the Dean, Chairs, and Directors to develop, implement, and optimize streamlined processes for the application of the NAU Academic Integrity Policy;
- Respond to University officials, parents and students, as appropriate, regarding student issues.
The current position is limited to internal NAU candidates. The successful candidate will possess the title of Associate or Full Professor with Tenure at Northern Arizona University.
- At least one year of administrative/leadership experience in academic or research program management, or at the level of Associate Chair or Chair
- Knowledge of University policies, standards, and procedures
- Strong organizational, communication, and conflict management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
Northern Arizona University is a 22,870-student institution with its main campus in Flagstaff, a four-season community of about 70,000 at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks. NAU’s emphasis on undergraduate education is enhanced by its graduate programs and research as well as distance learning. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes.
The university is committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment.
For information about diversity, access, and equity at NAU, see the Center for University Access and Inclusion webpage.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Commensurate with experience.
This is an Administrator (ADM) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP); 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU HR benefits page.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Administrators are hired on a contract basis renewable each year according to terms of the Conditions of Administrative Service. These terms can be found on the Arizona Board of Regents website.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). Employees will have 31 days from date of hire to enroll in benefits, and their benefits will then be effective the first day of the pay period following their completed enrollment.
If a new employee chooses the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) retirement option, participation in the ASRS Plan (and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it) will begin on the first of the pay period following 183 days of employment. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP; an alternative to the ASRS plan) will begin to participate on the first day of employment. The long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following 90 days of employment. More information about NAU benefits is available at the NAU HR benefits page.
April 15, 2021
How to Apply
The required applications materials include (1) a letter of interest, and (2) a current curriculum vita. Questions related to the position and final application materials should be sent to Jamie Baxter by email ([email protected]) on or before 5:00 pm on April 15, 2021. The anticipated start date for the position is July 1, 2021.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.