Assistant Director for Advancement - University Laboratory High School (143800)
Assistant Director of Advancement
University Laboratory High School
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign has an opening for an Assistant Director of Advancement at the University Laboratory High School. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with experience and the start date will be as soon as possible after the close of the search.
The Assistant Director of Advancement is responsible for managing the donor relations and constituent engagement program through the framework of the Parent and Alumni network. This position works to develop, implement, and manage overall advancement activities in support of and in coordination with the Director to advance efforts
in engaging with annual and major gift prospects and donors. The Assistant Director of Advancement is also responsible for creating and managing philanthropic support, soliciting gifts from alumni, parents, and friends of the School, and will provide stewardship and event coordination.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and coordinate key events including the gala, senior-related graduation activities such as handprints and senior supper, new parent reception, and assist with commencement and class reunions planning and events.
- Create new strategies and enhance existing initiatives to promote donor retention and inspire further giving from this constituency.
- Recruit and engage alumni class agents for each graduating class and parent class agents for each student class (sub-freshman through senior).
- Plan and implement effective outreach and cultivation activities to enhance prospect identification and move the solicitation and stewardship processes forward.
- Develop stewardship strategies for special constituencies, leading them through the donor cycle.
- Support the Director in planning and managing the Advancement advisory board, including suggesting members, keeping members apprised of relevant information, determining agendas for meetings, and ensuring proper follow-up.
- Support the University of Illinois Laboratory High School Alumni Association Board, keeping members apprised of relevant information, cultivating board members, and ensuring proper follow-up.
- Responsible for growing and renewing support from existing donors, personally cultivating, and soliciting prospects and donors.
- Build and proactively manage a portfolio of prospects with additional giving capacity, affinity, and inclination.
- Develop and manage the strategic plan for annual gifts to increase support for the School annual fund and parent fund, both in dollars raised and a number of donors.
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward donors, targeting retention efforts for first-time donors, encouraging existing donors to renew and upgrade their current giving, and reconnecting with lapsed and engaged non-donors to grow the School’s donor base.
- Identify, assess, analyze, and design appropriate strategies for philanthropic interests as they relate to the School’s programmatic and curricular needs.
- Connect donors to major gift officers, faculty, staff, as appropriate.
- Manage the Parent and Annual Giving program to strengthen relationships with key constituents to support the School’s mission.
- Build relationships and collaborate across the School to understand and meet donor engagement requirements, donor stewardship, and recognition opportunities, while providing high levels of internal customer service and driving gifts to the needs of the School’s strategic plan.
- Plan and implement effective outreach and cultivation activities to enhance prospect identification and move the solicitation and stewardship process forward.
- Manage a system of reports that reflect annual giving progress as well as offering major gift officers access to pipeline activity and opportunities.
- Work closely with faculty and staff to gain a strong knowledge of the academic programs within the school to further engage donors and prospective donors in their philanthropic interests.
- Analyze and recognize patterns in giving data to shape engagement activities, drive action, maximize impact, and evaluate success.
- Coordinate communications in collaboration with our Director of Communications for our publications, emails, and social media messaging that promotes and demonstrates the impact of giving.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the University of Illinois Laboratory High School Advancement Office, the school departments, and the Vice-Chancellor for Institutional Advancement’s Annual Giving Programs.
- Regularly assess communications to key constituents and affinity-based groups for opportunities to refine and strengthen personalized and segmented advancement content and strategy.
- Identify and document recognition and stewardship opportunities, and how annual fund gifts are used by the school.
- Write non-standard donor acknowledgments for the Director of the school and develop procedures for donor acknowledgments to ensure accuracy, personalization, and timeliness.
Required education, experience, and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience with advancement work and/or related projects such as alumni relations, marketing, public relations, community outreach, or development.
Preferred education, experience, and qualifications:
- Master's degree.
- Previous fundraising and event experience within a higher education environment.
- A minimum of two years of successful advancement experience or four or more years of experience in a related field (such as sales, marketing communications, financial planning, etc.).
Successful candidates will have:
- Demonstrated ability to represent an organization in visits with key constituents.
- Understanding of donor prospect qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Strong relationship management skills.
- Demonstrated excellent professionalism, the ability to communicate with educators and donors, and to organize multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Understand and adhere to the Association of Fundraising Professionals Donor Bill of Rights, which is endorsed by the Office of Institutional Advancement.
For full consideration, materials should be received by April 19, 2021. Application materials should include a cover letter, a current curriculum vitae, names, and contact information for three references, including email and telephone numbers. Candidates may create a profile through https//jobs.illinois.edu. For further information about this specific position, contact Jen Cochrane at [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Office of the Provost Category:2-Administrative Title:Assistant Director for Advancement - University Laboratory High School (143800) Open Date:03/29/2021 Close Date:04/19/2021 Organization Name:University Laboratory HS