Clinical Nurse Educator, RN - Clinical Affiliation- Durham NC
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
The Clinical Nurse Educator (CNE) serves across the entities of Duke University Health System by providing staff development expertise as an educator, consultant, facilitator, change agent, leader and researcher. Each supports the development of the bedside nurse, and fosters empowerment through knowledge to achieve excellence through the delivery of evidenced based nursing practice. This occurs through the facilitation of the educational process through assessment, development, planning, implementation and evaluation of competency assessment, continuing education and leadership development. In addition, as a role model of professional behavior, the CNE is instrumental in creating a professional nursing climate within Duke University Health System. Must be able to withstand physical activity which includes the ability to move or lift at least 50 pounds. Travel may be required to facilitate collaboration with entities across Duke University Health System.
In the role of Clinical Nurse Educator for Clinical Affiliations, the primary work performed is:
- Serves as a clinical affiliation liaison between academic institutions and Duke Health providers and staff for compliance with regulatory/accreditation, policy, procedure, and program development.
- Maintains or secures affiliation agreements with appropriate Duke Health representatives and academic institutions.
- Coordinates, develops or sustains standard orientation, role expectations, and onboarding requirements for affiliate students and faculty.
- Facilitates pre-licensure nursing student placements using electronic cloud-based system for communication to key stakeholders.
- Represents Duke Health at NC Consortium for Clinical Education Practice.
- Conducts needs assessments using a variety of strategic tools
- Assists learners in the assessment of needs and identification of outcome
- Incorporates principles of adult learning in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of education programs
- Coordinates orientation of new staff to the organization
- Develops/coordinates education plans related to initial and ongoing competency validation
- Develops/coordinates core education to address patient population specific nursing care
- Develops/coordinates core education for the development of beside leaders
- Plans, prepares and maintains materials for use in educational programs for accuracy and relevance to the target audience
- Identifies and evaluates instructional materials in all types of media and formats
- Adjusts content and teaching strategies appropriate learner needs
- Provides educational opportunities that benefit nurses at all stages of their career development
- Delivers competence based programs for nursing staff with a focus upon improvement of skills and retention of knowledge
- Develops evidence-based educational materials
- Supports staff development with educational activities (which include remediation, certification, mentoring, life support, regulatory requirements, product roll-outs, etc)
- Evaluates the effectiveness of educational programming
- Prepares short and long term planning and programs to address identified needs
- Teaches content as needed and/or assigned within clinical expertise to facilitate orientation, staff development and/or safe practice
- Serves as an educational consultant to facilities, task forces, committees, and projects relating to policy, procedure and program development
- Responses to regulatory mandates for research and management of sentinel events
- Responds to identified needs of Duke University Health System to promote quality patient care and safety
- Collaborates with Duke University Health System to recommend educational strategies for the implementation clinical standards
- Consults with staff regarding individual learning needs
- Supports the integration of research into practice
- Provides information to document effectiveness of role as a staff development educator
- Incorporates current educational evidence into individual practice as a staff development expert
- Conducts and/or contributes to nursing research
- Interprets, communicates, and incorporates research findings into program planning
- Facilitates the adult learning process, creating a climate which supports learning across the health system
- Identifies and recruits internal and external resources (nurse, doctor, other specialists) for educational activities
- Coordinates educational activities (includes continuing education credit, clinical affiliations, nurse residency, etc) across Duke University Health System
- Participates in committees, task forces, projects for areas of coverage and Duke University Health System
- Facilitates teambuilding and leadership development for areas of coverage and Duke University Health System
- Participates in review of activities or processes for area of coverage and department
- Responds to changes in nursing practice and develops programs to support those changes
- Ensures that educational programs are congruent with organizational missions, values, and goals
- Maintains flexibility when managing multiple roles and responsibilities
- Interprets and communicates across multiple disciplines
- Promotes a safe and healthy work environment
- Serves as a role model to promote excellence and safety
- Maintains required educational and/or clinical competencies
- Seek opportunities to develop staff in various roles
- Integrates ethical principles in all aspects of practice
- Serves as a role model for education and professional nursing practice
- Role models and promotes the concept of lifelong learning
- Leads committees, work groups and/or projects related to the implementation of educational activities
- Performs related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient Computer Skills in Microsoft office Knowledge of Audiovisual equipment set up an advantage
- BSN required, MSN preferred.
- 5 years of nursing, clinical educator, or nursing instructor experience required. A Master's Degree in Nursing may substituted for 2 years of required experience.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
- Current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina required.
- BLS required. BLS, ACLS, PALS, and/or NRP Instructor level certification is preferred.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.