Research Assistant - DEPP
PG190881EPInternal Recruitment :
Research Assistant - DEPPAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with Experience.Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pmJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Entomology and Plant PathologyAbout the Department:
The Micropropagation and Repository Unit in the Department of Plant Pathology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, is the National Clean Plant Network center that produces, maintains and distributes to stakeholders high quality, asexually propagated plant material of sweetpotato, berry crops and grapes that are free of targeted pathogens and pests that cause economic loss to protect the environment and ensure global competitiveness of U.S. specialty crops producers.Essential Job Duties:
The Research Assistant will independently support, develop, design, and/or execute moderately complex research activities for a single or multiple research projects. Duties of the Research Assistant will include but are not limited to: Conducting molecular pathogen testing (mainly viruses) by RT-PCR and real time PCR for sweetpotatoes, berries, grapes and other crops as needed. Collecting and maintaining detailed records of virus testing data needed for preparation of reports. The Research Assistant will develop and improve new and existing protocols for virus testing. The successful candidate will also manage daily operations in the lab, as well as maintain equipment and purchase supplies. The position will also maintain up-to-date lab safety plan.Other Responsibilities:
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Relevant Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Plant Biology, Horticultural Science, Plant Science, Plant Pathology, or a related field with at least 3 years of relevant experience.
- Basic understanding and experience using lab equipment for molecular detection of plant pathogens in the lab.
- Ability to follow protocols for molecular detection techniques.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to collaborate with staff, faculty and students.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office, especially WORD, EXCEL and Power Point (or similar software).
- Relevant research experience in molecular lab testing to detect plant viruses.
n/aValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
03/29/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled. .Special Instructions to Applicants:
- In addition to your application please submit a CV, cover letter, and the contact information for three (3) professional references.
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
111801 - Entomology and Plant PathologyAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.