Groundskeeper II, 28293
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 36094
UMKC-Campus Facilities ManagementJob Description
Maintain and install campus landscapes and grounds. Work differs from similar classifications in that a higher degree of knowledge in grounds keeping and landscaping methods must be applied to primary assignments. Review is accomplished through observation of results with particular emphasis on accuracy, efficiency, appearance and conformance with instructions. Functional contacts include co-workers, other service department employees and other University staff and students.
- Plant, transplant and cultivate trees, shrubs and flowers; determine water requirements of plants and turf, irrigate as necessary.
- Prune trees, shrubs and flowers according to standard horticultural practices as necessary to maintain good plant health.
- Identify weeds, insects and diseases; mix and apply pesticides safely, according to label instructions and as directed. Apply fertilizers and calibrate application equipment.
- Build stone or tie walls and plant beds; repair landscape irrigation systems.
- Perform general grounds maintenance duties: remove leaves, mow grass, aerate turf, weed beds, sow grass seed and lay sod. Perform hand grading, excavating and shovel work.Remove snow from streets and sidewalks.Will be on call for snow removal.
- May operate tractors, trucks, lawn mowers, chain saws and miscellaneous equipment. Perform maintenance on grounds keeping equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is necessary.
- Two years of experience in grounds maintenance, landscape construction, or related area is necessary.
- Knowledge of tools, methods and materials used in grounds maintenance and landscape construction.
- Ability on a daily basis to:
- Grasp, lift, carry and set down heavy objects (50-75 lbs.)
- Shovel snow, climb ladders and operate heavy power equipment
Full time position.Shift
Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 4:00 pmApplication Deadline
Open until filled. Review of applications will begin on April 12th, 2021.Application Instructions
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (800) 488-5288.Comments Supervision ReceivedUnder direct supervision, receives daily instructions on work to be performed. Supervision ExercisedMay instruct and/or guide personnel assisting in work. Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: