Research Assistant I - Gene Expression Laboratory - Dr. Geoff Wahl
Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The Research Assistant I will be responsible for assisting the postdoctoral staff with projects and experiments. Duties include, but are limited to, molecular and cell biology techniques, cell culture, and mouse handling. Other duties include assisting with general laboratory maintenance, including equipment maintenance, and ordering of supplies, etc.
(100%) Laboratory Support and Research Assistance
- Managing mouse colony –weaning and overcrowding.
- Tagging and obtaining tissue samples from mice.
- Extracting DNA and genotyping via gel electrophoresis.
- Performing and troubleshooting PCR.
- Maintaining cell cultures & organoids
- Performing mouse surgery
- Performing mouse dissection
- Basic Cloning
- No professional experience required with relevant degree.
- Experience in a laboratory environment.
- Demonstrated experience and application of molecular biology knowledge preferably in biochemistry and cell culture.
- Demonstrated experience with general lab maintenance, including cleaning, stocking supply inventory, and ensuring the maintenance of a sterile environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related field, or equivalent
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understands operation of basic lab equipment
- Ability to maintain focus while performing repetitive tasks is essential.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) needed to interact professionally and effectively in the work environment.
- Familiarity with making stock solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
- Experienced with PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools such as Microsoft Office, Excel, and the Internet.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
This position requires constant seeing, sitting, talking, analyzing, and communicating.