Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
Hofstra University is very pleased to invite applications and nominations for the position of staff nurse practitioner at Student Health Services. This is an exceptional opportunity for a visionary and team-oriented clinician. As a clinical team member within the health services team, the staff NP will support the mission, vision, and goals of a responsive wellness program in a dynamic university setting. The Nurse Practitioner will provide direct healthcare services, in a well-established, highly-regarded, and strongly supported campus health program with experienced and student-oriented healthcare practitioners.
The nurse practitioner is responsible for the leadership and delivery of medical health and wellness care, which includes programs offered to a community of more than 10,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide value driven customer directed clinical care while supporting staff and student needs.
- Facilitate continuous performance improvement using data driven protocols and feedback from the community at large.
- Supervise indirect reports (e.g. Hofstra University students, faculty and staff).
- Designate available time to the provision of teaching and scholarship with the Hofstra Northwell School of Nursing & Physician Assistant Studies
- Assist in integrated models of primary-behavioral and acute care, including those associated with educational initiatives
- Engage with colleagues throughout the university and community at large to identify and respond to the needs of the Hofstra community and advocate for student health and wellness on campus.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations governing health care delivery and assure timely assessment and filing of all regulatory documents.
- Engage in lifelong professional knowledge, skill development and diversity, while continuously supporting administrative, clinical and academic operations with standards of accreditation.
- Maintain close partnerships with other offices within Hofstra University as well as with faculty to address practices related to health care, emergency management, environmental issues, public health and regulatory requirements.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
This is an onsite position; work for this role is performed on campus.
- A master’s in science nursing degree with clinical training as a Nurse Practitioner, required; doctoral degree, preferred.
- Current nurse practitioner licensure or license-eligibility in New York at the time of hire and current, active national certification as a nurse practitioner, required.
- Minimum 2-5 years of clinical experience as an NP working with young adults. Experience in Emergency Medicine, Urgent Care or Primary Care, preferred.
- Understanding of and appreciation for university individual, community, and public health issues.
- Strongly preferred: Licensure as Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health, or an Adult Nurse Practitioner to facilitate provision of services for all students.
- Possess national board certification in population of focus.
- Possess knowledge of local and national issues, trends, and best practice standards in primary health care, college health, health insurance, and managed care.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the integration of health, wellness, and counseling services and a deep affinity and commitment to working closely with students and supporting a diverse student community.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as both a team leader and team member.
- Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills and a strong knowledge of electronic information systems for practice management and production of outcome reports.
- Willingness to be actively engaged in student affairs and college health professional activities and organizations.
- Proficiency in electronic health system & experience with telehealth preferred.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as needed.
Please send a cover letter and curriculum vitae to:
Hofstra University Student Health Services
Attention: Rob Stahl, DNP, AGNP-BC
250 Wellness and Campus Living Center
Hempstead, NY 11549
Email: [email protected]
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.