Department Head and Associate/Full Professor - Computer Science
Job Title: Department Head and Associate/Full Professor - Computer Science
Location: UNG-Dahlonega, GA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 225386
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.Department Information
The Department of Computer Science and Information Systems (CSIS) holds ABET accreditation for computer science and AACSB accreditation for the information systems program. A cybersecurity degree is also offered by the department. In addition to the CSIS Department, the Mike Cottrell College of Business includes the Center for Cyber Operations Education, Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and the BB&T Center for Ethical Leadership. The College focuses on leading, empowering and creating value for students, faculty and our region and beyond. The College offers undergraduate degrees in Computer Science, Cybersecurity, and Technology Management, a B.B.A. degree, and two associate degrees. Graduate programs include the Cottrell M.B.A., Master of Accountancy, and three graduate certificates. The college enrolls around 4,500 students, with over 1,000 students in the CSIS Department degree programs. The international group of teacher-scholars provides an exceptional learning community to prepare students for their professional roles and to engage with business and industry in the region to foster economic development. The CSIS Department works closely with the Center for Cyber Operations Education, designated as a National Center for Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense by the Department of Homeland Security and the National Security Agency, and prepares graduates for innovative careers. The UNG Cyberhawks student team has won the NSA Codebreaker Challenge for two years in a row, besting the next highest scoring team, Georgia Tech, by a 4:1 point ratio.Job Summary
The Computer Science and Information Systems Department in the Mike Cottrell College of Business (MCCB) at the University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for the positon of department head. The successful candidate will provide vision and leadership for the 21 faculty members in the department and have teaching experience and research interests in computer science, cybersecurity, or information systems, as well as be engaged in at least one discipline-based professional organization. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellence in teaching, scholarship and engagement in discipline-related professional organizations. The start date is July 1, 2021, and the position is a 12-month appointment.Responsibilities
- Lead the department in continuing to build its reputation within and outside the College and the University of North Georgia
- Serve as member of the MCCB Executive Team
- Provide excellent teaching in CS, Cyber and/or IS courses
- Guide the department in maintaining ABET (CS) and AACSB accreditation (IS), and earning ABET accreditation for the cybersecurity program
- Work collaboratively with the soon-to-be-established Institute for Cyber Education and the Center for Cyber Operations Education, which is part of the Cyber Institute
- Continue to engage in scholarship within the discipline, and engage in professional activities in the academic community.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of teaching and learning practices
- Knowledge of theoretical and applied concepts of computer science, cybersecurity and/or information systems
- Ability to conduct and publish academic research
- Ability to develop relationships with employers
- Record of successfully mentoring faculty
- Passion for working with students to develop their skills and expertise
- A Ph.D. in computer science, cybersecurity, information systems, or closely related field is required at the time of appointment.
- Record of teaching excellence; quality research in computer science, cybersecurity and/or information systems; and engagement in disciplinary-based professional organizations; all at the level to warrant tenure at time of appointment.
- Previous administrative experience in academia
- Experience with ABET and AACSB accreditation
- Experience with writing successful grant applications
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Cover Letter, Unofficial Transcripts
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with the University of North Georgia, as determined by University of North Georgia in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.Special Applicant Instructions
- If you received any graduate degrees from an institution outside the United States, you must provide a foreign course-by-course credential evaluation by an independent evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES). Find a full list of NACES members at http://www.naces.org/members.htm.
- Please submit contact information for three professional references.