Senior VP Health SciencesDepartment Website Link:Location:
University of Arizona Health SciencesAddress:
UAHS-Tucson, Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
This position is responsible for the processing and negotiation of complex industry, federal and state-sponsored research, non-profit foundations, other universities, and other sponsored agreements. This position will support the University of Arizona by negotiating agreements that bring external funding and other forms of support to University research, education, service and outreach activities. This role will be responsible for working with faculty in all areas of health sciences to understand their needs, apply university policy, applicable regulations, and legal principles, and employ negotiating skills to successfully complete contracts. Anticipate and address the needs of contract negotiations while providing exceptional customer service to investigators in a team-based environment. We are committed to identifying and adhering to policy changes in grants and contracts administration while upholding high standards of integrity and fiduciary responsibility.Ability to adjust schedule to work weekend and evening hours when necessary.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervise UAHS Research Administration contracts team for quality control, performance management and evaluation, training, and development. Oversees the drafting review, negotiation, and processing of agreements including clinical trial agreements, confidential disclosure agreements, incoming subawards, and other agreements, as required.
- Assigns work to contract team and ensures timely completion of agreements. Maintains a database to communicate the status of contracts and amendments. Assists with the formulation of guidelines, procedures, and the development of templates and other agreement tools.
- Serve as campus resource for principal investigators, study personnel and other University officials in the agreement review process. Advise, assist and provide training to faculty and other study personnel about policies, procedures, forms, laws and regulations related to university agreements. Fosters effective relationships with Sponsored Projects & Contracting Services, the Office of General Counsel, Tech Launch Arizona, the Export Control Program, Risk Management and other administrative offices.
- Maintain knowledge of current developments in policy, laws, regulations and best practices regulating university agreements.
- Bachelor Degree (Accounting, Business Administration, Engineering, Science or related field).
- Seven or more years of progressively responsible experience in the negotiation of agreements establishing research and development relationships in business, government, and/or academic environments with at least three years of clinical research contracting.
- Three years of managerial experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
*An advanced degree such as a Master of Science in a technical field, a Master of Business Administration, or a Juris Doctor.*Diverse, successful experience as a research administrator in a university department or college.*Knowledge of and expertise in negotiating issues in federal, academic, or business contracting in a research/ environment.*Demonstrated knowledge of university and sponsor agency policies and procedures.*Standout colleague who supports the team and is able to resolve issues with a positive outcome.*Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic team environment with changing priorities.*Demonstrated ability to work in a manner that is effective and efficient.*Experience with UA systems, specifically UAccess Research.*Remote work accommodations considered for western region.*Excellent written and verbal communication skills and significant attention to detail.*Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, along with the ability to interact effectively with a diverse constituency.*Demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills, along with the ability to work within tight and conflicting deadlines.*Demonstrated ability to think quickly and effectively in verbal negotiations.*Demonstrated ability to seek and affect successfully creative resolutions to contract issues.*Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of contract terms for both industry and government sponsored agreements. *Demonstrated ability to interact professionally and effectively with investigators, sponsors, and cross-functional teams.*Demonstrated customer service.*Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$79,122 - $140,661Compensation Type:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
12Career Stream and Level:
Grant & Contract AdminJob Function:
ResearchType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Christine Gaul |[email protected] | 520-626-1542Open Date:
3/26/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.