Camp Coordinator - Upward Bound Program
FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, is seeking candidates for the Camp Coordinator position for the Upward Bound Program.
Fort Valley State University, the only 1890 land-grant university in Georgia, is a comprehensive institution that provides an education to over 2,800 students including graduate students. The university is located in the town of Fort Valley in Peach County, the original site of the state's peach industry. Its 1,365-acre (5.52 km2) campus is Georgia's second-largest public university in area.
The Resident Advisor will provide dormitory supervision to females or males Upward Bound students for six weeks during the summer; enforce all rules and regulations governing the Upward Bound program; be accountable for students at all times; accompany students on all on and off campus trips; and attend all scheduled meetings both in person and virtual.
All applicants should clearly demonstrate experience with and commitment to, underrepresented, ethnically diverse, and disadvantaged youth. Applicants must be able to work closely with the entire staff and be available for all program events, including staff training, planning, and other types of meetings and/or sessions. All personnel will share responsibilities from time to time for transporting students to/from students' home.
The Summer 2021 program will be held June through July, and residential advisors will be required to work Sunday through Friday each week.
- On call 24-hours a day for the duration of the summer programPlans and conduct special events in residence hallsSupervises students during evening activitiesEnsures hall security to maintain the health and safety of participantsMaintains sufficient communication with program staff and participants to ensure efficient program operationMonitors participants for the duration of the summer program and tripsEnsures that all participants are in their rooms and remain there after lights are outAttends all program functions with participantsAttends weekly staff meetingsMaintains necessary discipline and harmonious relationships with participants and staffAssists others with programming to ensure that all classes, activities, and events are organizedTransport students to and from designated pick-up and drop-off locations and off-campus activitiesDeliver food and other supplies to studentReports to respective staff with regards to any problems and/or disciplinary measures during program activities and field tripsAttend all virtual and in-person activities and meetingsReports immediately to appropriate staff any serious misbehavior from a participant, his/her guest or any extreme situationPerforms other job-related tasks as assigned
- College graduate OR a student in good standing with Junior or Senior status
- Minimum 2.5 GPA Official transcript
- Valid driver's license
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Applicants must exhibit a very high level of emotional maturity in order to be considered for this position
- Previous experience working with an Upward Bound (or pre-college program) as a student or staff member