Assistant Athletic Trainer
Assistant Athletic TrainerDepartment:
The Assistant Athletic Trainer assists the Head Athletic Trainer with providing athletic training services to UTPB student-athletes, the day-to-day operation of the athletic training room, and administrative duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
1. Promotes the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program, to include adhering to all Departmental policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of UTPB, the NCAA, Lone Star Conference and those set forth by The University of Texas System, and State of Texas.
2. Assist the Head Athletic Trainer with injury prevention programs, injury evaluations, injury management, injury treatment and rehabilitation, educational programs and counseling for student-athletes
3. Assist in the provision of athletic training services for the University’s athletic department, including attendance at scheduled team practices and home and away competitions as necessary
4. Assist the Head Athletic Trainer in coordination and scheduling of physical examinations and medical referrals for student-athletes to determine their ability to practice and compete
5. Performs administrative tasks such as record-keeping, insurance filings, maintaining statistics.
6. Serves as a Clinical Preceptor, and possibly teach, for the UTPB athletic training education program.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Head Athletic Trainer or Athletic Director.
This is a full-time, 12-month, FLSA Exempt position. The individual holding this position will need to be available early morning, evening and weekends to meet the needs of the Athletics Department.
In this position, the Assistant Athletic Trainer would be expected to:
1. Ability to handle highly confidential material, understanding that all University information should only be disclosed to others who have a need to know, for legitimate business or educational reasons. Have the ability to exercise and apply sound judgment and decision making skills as well as the ability to maintain integrity and confidentiality of data.
2. Shall act with honesty and sportsmanship at all times so that intercollegiate athletics as a whole, the university and they as individuals, represent the honor and dignity of fair play and the generally recognized high standards associated with wholesome competitive sports.
3. Have a solid knowledge of NCAA regulations and guidelines governing athletic training and medical care of student-athletes.
4. Must possess the ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures and have knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the athletic training program. Remains current on relevant regulations and guidelines
5. Makes public appearances on behalf of the University as well as create substantial support for program through ambitious marketing and community service efforts.
6. Responsible to monitor the physical, emotional and social welfare of student-athletes and to ensure the establishment of a safe environment while at the University.
7. Possess exemplary customer skills, including dealing effectively with the students, faculty, staff, and general public both in person and over the telephone. Demonstrates understanding and sensitivity to the needs of all prospective as well as current students.
8. Excellent writing skills and the demonstrated ability to develop written reports.
9. Good organizational and oral skills are needed.
10. Ability to work effectively, decisively and flexibly in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
11. Ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines.
12. Knowledge of Microsoft Office and have the self-motivation and the ability to stay current with emerging technologies.
13. Ability to travel with teams as needed.
14. Ability to accept supervision, assignments, change and correction.
15. Engage in meaningful and intentional professional development appropriate for areas of responsibility.
16. Carry out all responsibilities and objectives in a professional manner.
17. Maintain professionalism when dealing with all staff and other customers while fostering positive working relationships.
18. Accept and render constructive criticism in a professional manner.
19. Maintain all required licenses and certifications in order to practice as an athletic trainer in the state of Texas.
20. Adhere to the policies and procedures established by the Texas Board of Regents, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the University of Texas Permian Basin.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel and teach at external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
The University offers an excellent compensation package which includes a broad range of employee benefits including free health insurance (employee only) as well as a generous retirement program. We invite you to learn more at www.utpb.edu.
The University of Texas Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EOE, including disability/vets
UTPB participates in e-VerifyRequired Qualifications:
1. Master’s Degree in an appropriate area of specialization and one (1) year of directly related professional experience, or a bachelor’s degree in the appropriate area of specialization and three (3) years of directly related experience.
2. Certification by the Board of Certification (BOC) and Texas State Athletic Training Licensure (or eligible for licensure) is required. Familiarity with NCAA governing rules and a strong commitment to the Student-Athlete concept.
3. Possesses an unencumbered driver’s license and the ability to travel. Able to successfully pass a criminal background check.
4. Experience with intercollegiate basketball teams preferred.
Physical strength/endurance to enable him/her to perform/participate in the following activities:
1.Physically able to lift various materials up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
2. While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain seated, frequently to continuously.
3. Frequent walking, standing, and other physical activities will be required 75% of the time.
4. While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain standing up to 25% of the time.
5. Possesses dexterity abilities required to perform typing, operate a computer and other office equipment.
6. Must be able to tolerate exposure to indoor/outdoor environment/climate changes.
7. Flexibility to work long, irregular hours to include evening, weekend and holiday hours.
8. Possesses a valid driver’s license and able to drive a 12-person van long distances.
9. Availability for team travel locally and nationally.
01/05/2021Open Until Filled: