Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Assistant Professor of Mechanical EngineeringDepartment:
School of EngineeringClassification:
The College of Engineering at The University of Texas Permian Basin is seeking outstanding applicants for two (2) open-rank, tenure-track faculty positions in Mechanical Engineering, to begin in the Spring/Fall semester(s) 2021.
The Department currently offers ABET accredited Bachelor of Science degree and Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering programs.
In addition to teaching and service responsibilities, the successful candidate(s)will be expected to establish innovative, externally-funded research program(s) with effective collaborations in their area(s) of expertise with industry and national labs. Senior applicants should have an outstanding record of externally funded research. Strong preference will be given to candidates with experience and expertise in addressing problems related to advanced manufacturing and thermo-fluidics. The successful candidate(s) should additionally have plans to involve undergraduate and graduate students in their research.
UTPB is located in West Texas (Odessa and Midland), in the heart of the Permian Basin, one of the most important petroleum-producing regions in the world. Faculty often have the opportunity to collaborate with oil and chemical companies on student projects directed at problems related to oil production and its associated processing industries. A new Engineering Building with state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities houses the College of Engineering. More information about the College of Engineering can be found at:
Finalists for the position will be required to submit a brief grant proposal to the University of Texas System STARs grant program, which may provide the successful applicant substantial research start-up funding. More information about the STARs program may be found at:
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
Questions regarding the search may be addressed to Dr. Forrest Flocker at [email protected]
The University offers an excellent compensation package which includes a broad range of employee benefits including free health insurance (employee only) as well as a generous retirement program. We invite you to learn more at www.utpb.edu.
The University of Texas Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EOE, including disability/vets
UTPB participates in e-VerifyRequired Qualifications:
• PhD in Mechanical Engineering
• Expertise in any of the following areas: thermo-fluidics, advanced manufacturing, mechanical design, controls and robotics
• The ability to teach graduate and undergraduate courses in mechanical engineering
• Senior applicants should have an outstanding record of externally funded research
• Experience in curriculum development and program evaluation
• Evidence of mentoring student research
• Evidence of quality instruction
• Experience teaching in the University classroom, both face-to-face and in an on-line format
• Strong preference will be given to candidates with experience and expertise in addressing problems related to advanced manufacturing and thermo-fluidics
• Evidence of professional service at state, regional, national, and/or international level
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be physically able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The expectations listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
• Physically able to lift various materials up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis.
• While performing required job tasks, physically able to bend, crouch and reach continuously.
• While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain seated, frequently to continuously.
• While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain standing up to 15% of the time.
• Possesses a clean and valid driver’s license, the ability to travel both locally and nationally by car and plane.
• Possesses dexterity abilities required to operate a computer and other office equipment to perform related job responsibilities.
F103PSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
All applicants must submit a UTPB electronic application in order to be considered.
Please include all required documents with your submission:
A single .pdf file with the application and support materials, Support materials consist of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of research interests, a list of potential courses to be taught, and complete contact information for at least three professional references.
Unofficial transcripts of all college work should be attached separately in the “Transcript” field.
Additional attachment fields are available for documents that exceed the acceptable file size of the application system. For technical assistance, e-mail the Recruiter at: [email protected]
*NOTE: Official transcripts are required upon hire and before an offer letter may be tendered.
Job posted date: 9/29/2020.