Maintenance Worker II
Maintenance Worker IIDepartment:
The University of Texas Permian Basin welcomes applicants for the position of Maintenance Worker II. Reporting to the Building Maintenance Supervisor.
The starting salary for this position is $31,408.00 to $37,856.00, depending upon qualifications.
BASIC FUNCTION: Performs general repair and maintenance of buildings and university facilities to include repair, maintenance and related custodial tasks.
1. Receive, perform, and complete work orders pertaining to a variety of routine, semi-skilled building maintenance and repair tasks.
2. Perform various grounds keeping duties including but not limited to: raking, planting and mulch replacement; lawn care to include mowing, edging, trimming trees and hedges. Digs ditches for plumbing projects and maintaining and repairing sewer lines.
3. Picking up litter and maintaining outdoor trash and ash um receptacles. Stocks supplies in shop. Sweeps shop. Cleans machine rooms and/or performs routine custodial duties.
4. Repairs surfaces to be painted including plastering and sheetrock finishing. Scrape, sandpaper, prime, or seal surfaces prior to painting. Paint or stain interior and exterior surfaces.
5. Delivers supplies and moves furniture and sets up bleachers, tables and chairs for events.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Building Maintenance Supervisor.
SCHEDULE: Generally, the hours for this non-exempt classified position is Monday through Thursday 7:00 am – 5:30pm Friday 8am – 12 pm with a one-hour lunch. The individual holding this position may need to be available early morning, evening and weekends to meet the needs of the department.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED:Most work is performed under direct supervision of a skilled craft worker or crew leader. Detailed instructions on new or unusual tasks.
The incumbent is expected to have or possess:
1. Ability to handle highly confidential material, understanding that all University information should only be disclosed to others who have a need to know, for legitimate business reasons. Have the ability to exercise and apply sound judgment and decision making skills as well as the ability to maintain integrity and confidentiality of data.
2. Have considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions, procedures, methods and equipment used in the maintenance field and safe use of ‘trade’ tools, work methods and materials associated with general maintenance field and procedures related to building safety. Adheres to University protocol as well as state and federal regulations relating to safety procedures.
3. The work requires considerable working knowledge of hand/power tools and other equipment. Knowledge of motorized equipment such as tractor, lawn mower, chain saw, trimmer and field liner in order to perform grounds work activities.
4. Skilled and able to perform such duties as masonry, carpentry, welding, plumbing projects understanding that such projects will require digging ditches, maintaining and repairing sewer lines, replacing or fixing
·asphalt/concrete sidewalks and potholes.
5. Ability to follow detailed oral and written instructions and to read blue prints, schemas and plans to analyze and locate work projects.
6. Ability to balance priorities to accomplish assigned tasks within the required time frame and to be able to shift quickly between several tasks without loss of continuity. Completes tasks for scheduled and unscheduled academic and community events.
7. Works effectively in a service-oriented environment with changing priorities and interruptions. Follows through and carries out assignments and prioritizing workload to meet daily schedule as assigned. Looks for ways to improve performance.
8. Confer regularly with immediate supervisor and other department/University personnel to exchange information and resolve problems.
9. Able to effectively communicate general information to University constituency, however, some situations may require the ability to relay complex or adverse information with tact and diplomacy.
10. Proven effectiveness in dealing with a wide range of professionals, staff, and administrators.
11. Maintain acceptable work habits, punctuality, and regularity of attendance to arrive at and leave work on time, observe break and lunch periods.
12. Have a valid and unencumbered driver’s license, and be capable of operating a University vehicle during both day and night. Provides ‘on-call’ coverage as requested.
13. Engage in meaningful and intentional professional development appropriate for areas of responsibility.
14. Carry out all responsibilities and objectives in a professional manner.
15. Maintain professionalism when dealing with all staff and other customers while fostering positive working relationships.
16. Accept and render constructive criticism in a professional manner.
17. Adhere to the policies and procedures established by the Texas Board of Regents, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the University of Texas Permian Basin.
The University offers an excellent compensation package which includes a broad range of employee benefits including free health insurance (employee only) as well as a generous retirement program. We invite you to learn more at www.utpb.edu.
The University of Texas Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EOE, including disability/vets
UTPB participates in e-VerifyRequired Qualifications:
1. High School graduation or GED equivalency.
2. Minimum of three to five years experience in general maintenance, custodial maintenance or vocational education from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
3. Possess good organizational skills and able to communicate effectively.
4. Possesses a clean and valid driver’s license and the ability to successfully pass a criminal background check.Physical Demands:
Physical strength/endurance to enable him/her to perform/participate in the following activities:
1. Able to read, write and perform basic mathematical computations
2. Considerable physical work performed such as: lifting, pushing or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds, any item over 50 pounds would require incumbent to request assistance.
3. Work involves exposure to chemical, mechanical or electrical hazards, unusual elements, extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises, which requires the incumbent to follow safety precautions.
4. While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain standing and walk 100% of the time.
5. Possesses dexterity abilities required to bend, stoop, stretch, grasp, push and pull and to climb stairs and/or ladders. May be required to work in strained or cramped positions.
6. May be required to work irregular hours. Overtime may be required for special events or emergencies.
7. Have a valid and unencumbered driver’s license and the ability to drive University vehicles.Posting Number:
11/18/2020Open Until Filled: