Community Service Officer (Security)
Job Title: Community Service Officer (Security)
Location: Savannah State Recruiting Loc
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 225314
Savannah State University established in 1890, is the oldest public historically black college or university in Georgia and the oldest institution of higher learning in the city of Savannah. The university’s students select majors from four colleges — Business Administration, Education, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and Sciences and Technology. The campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia. The moss-laden sweeping oak trees, expansive marsh and historic architecture create a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement and a nurturing environment.Job Summary
This position assists law enforcement in the protection of lives and property through vigilant surveillance of the campus, utilizing motorized and foot patrols. Duties include, but are not limited to opening campus facilities for business and securing them following the close of business. Will be crossed trained as a dispatcher. Will be required to work as a dispatcher if needed.Responsibilities
- Performs routine public safety duties in accordance with established guidelines. Responsibilities include but are not limited to;
- Patrolling assigned areas to ensure personnel, building and equipment security, warns violators of rule infractions, and assists with traffic & parking violations
- Provides high profile, uniformed public safety services for the University campus and community.
- As non-sworn personnel, engages in active and regular patrols to assist in providing a safer and more secure campus environment.
- Functions as a public safety first responder for non-criminal incidents, and performs support roles to sworn police officers.
- Serves as a Campus Security Authority as defined by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act)
- Performs active and regular patrols (foot or vehicle) of all campus areas
- Provides close and regular surveillance of campus properties, including locking and unlocking buildings according to designated schedules
- Enforces University rules and regulations Assists with all traffic and parking related responsibilities
- Acts as a knowledgeable resource to students, staff and visitors to campus
- Provides general information such as directions and up to date information about campus events
- Reaches out to the campus community establishing relationships with students, faculty and staff in order to foster trust with the public safety function and its officers
- Continuously pursue additional knowledge and skills as it relates to assigned functions as Public Safety Specialists Receives training and maintains knowledge of current procedures regarding FEMA NIMS, ICS, and CERT protocols • Able to deal with multiple projects at one time
- Excellent interpersonal skills, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, technology, organization, communication (verbal and written), and presentation Proficient with computer applications and programs (i.e. Microsoft Office suite)
- Strong Attention to detail and strong organizational and follow up skills Strong customer service skills and phone etiquette • Perform other related duties as assigned.
This position requires high school diploma or GED equivalent. Applicant must have excellent customer service skills and high professional standards, including the ability to maintain confidentially of highly sensitive information. Must be able to communicate effectively (orally and in writing). Must be at least 21 years of age. Must successfully complete 1 week of basic patrolling procedure training which includes qualifying with the expandable baton and/ Taser qualification. Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check. Must possess a valid Georgia driver's license.Preferred Qualifications
Previous security or related work experience.Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Savannah State University, as determined by Savannah State University, its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test. Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.Equal Employment Opportunity
Savannah Stare University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Savannah State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Savannah State University, Office of Human Resources at [email protected] Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Office of Human Resources at [email protected]