Administrative Director, Center for Quantum Networks
James C Wyant Coll Optical SciDepartment Website Link:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The Center for Quantum Networks is searching for its Administrative Director (AD). Candidates with a history of strong research contributions will be considered for a courtesy title of Research Professor in the Wyant College of Optical Sciences.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
As a key member of the management team, the Administrative Director will serve the entire ERC as the guardian of resources, policies, and myriad detail. To be effective, the AD must have some knowledge of all center activities and maintain a big-picture perspective. The AD will need to consider the needs of all stakeholders (NSF and the ERC program, academic and industrial partners, funding sponsors, faculty, students, foreign collaborators, and staff) and balance potentially competitive internal resource demands among research, education, technology transfer, and management initiatives.
- Hiring, supervision, and development of center administrative personnel and management of documents/human resource policies for academic, research, and student appointments in compliance with university personnel regulations.
- Responsibility for budgeting, accounting, and reporting in order to maximize efficient use of funding, while ensuring compliance with rules and regulations. Manage all CQN facilities at UArizona.
- Oversight of management information system and report generation process (multiple reports to sponsoring agencies, university) and response to requests with accurate and timely information in format required. Responsible for access and analysis of Center's data plus storage to meet security and accessibility requirements.
- Managing the Center as the primary point of contact for NSF and public. Serve as liaison with member universities. Guardianship of university and agency system requirements (federal regulations, proposal processing, etc.) and responsibility for networking with university administration and NSF to keep abreast of latest changes. Event management, communications, and public relations, as assigned.
- Serve on the leadership team, and work with pillar and thrust leads to achieve the goals of the Center. NSF Engineering Research Centers are dynamic organizations serving industry, university, and government needs in rapidly changing high technology areas. As a complex organization, the ERC has multiple missions (research, education, and service) and is accountable to multiple funding sources (federal, state, local, university, and private). The AD reports directly to the Center Director and will manage multiple fiscal years; many different sets of rules and regulations; an annual budget in excess of $10 million; oversee full-and part-time researchers, faculty, and students at multiple institutions.
- Bachelor’s degree and 9 years of relevant experience to include 5 years of managerial experience or a Master’s degree and 7 years of relevant experience to include 5 years of managerial experience
- Experience in program management and direction involving large interdisciplinary complex engineering projects
- A strong background in engineering or large-scale experimental science projects
- Experience in NSF centers such as ERC, STC and PFC is highlydesirable
- Experience with NSF process
- Expertise in a quantum information technology area and/orintegrated photonics and/or optical networking technologies is highly desirable
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
13Career Stream and Level:
Research Program AdminJob Function:
ResearchType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
3/29/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
3/19/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.