Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), School of Pharmacy is currently seeking a Director of Information Technology
to oversee the Office of Computer and Network Services (CNS) and Research IT Support Services
. Reporting to the Associate Dean of Administration and Finance, the Director, Information Technology is responsible for making technical and financial decisions and leading strategic and tactical initiatives that address the school and campus needs. The Director is expected to foster UMB core values and create an environment of cooperation and collegiality within Computer and Network Services (CNS), school, and across the campus community. This is a ‘hands on’ position where the Director is actively involved in a number of technical tasks. This includes resolving security vulnerabilities, server and storage management, network and firewall design and other security decisions followed by implementation. This position works closely with the campus VP for IT and Campus IT. The Director is primarily responsible for performing significant managerial functions within oversight of the Office of Computer and Network Services/Research Support Services for the School of Pharmacy along with performing direct technical tasks for positions that this position backs up as well as those that are the responsibility of the Director. Possess subject matter expertise in information technology professional discipline. Achieve objectives through coordinated efforts of others, typically by managing recruitment, engagement, performance, and development of employees. In addition to managerial functions, develop, implement, and manage goals and objectives. Participate in strategic planning. Determine and enforce processes, practices, and/or policies. Manage and at times perform operations, workflow, projects, and/or systems that have strategic impact. Accountable for operational and/or financial resources for the school. Accountable for legal and policy compliance.The Director supports upper-level senior professionals in the overall strategic direction and planning of CNS. Develop and execute strategic goals and objectives. Responsible for planning, development, and implementation of strategies for the school. Upper senior professionals rely on expertise and advice to make financial, personnel, and significant strategic decisions for the school. Significant authority to act on behalf of upper-level senior professionals as needed. The Director must be able to take highly complex issues and present them to upper management to promote understanding and for decisions on resources. Established in 1841, the University of Pharmacy is the fourth oldest school of pharmacy in the United States. As a leader in pharmacy education, science discovery, patient care, and community engagement, the School conducts cutting edge research and engages in a wide variety of professional practice activities to improve the health and well-being of citizens in the state of Maryland and beyond. COMMITMENT to DIVERSITY:
We believe every person brings with them unique strengths, experiences, and perspectives and we value these differences. One of our best opportunities to deliver a workplace that is diverse, inclusive, and focused on equality is to hire candidates who share these values. The successful candidate for this position will be able to describe and demonstrate their commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness as well as how they contribute to a respectful, positive workplace. UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021).BENEFITS:
This EXEMPT position offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. PRIMARY DUTIES:
As the head IT Officer this position directs the administration of the IT functions within the school. This position requires knowledge of and experience with a broad range of IT systems, applications, databases, networks and may act as expert or advisor for these areas. This position is directly responsible for maintaining file servers and cloud computing. This position is directly responsible for maintaining desktop, server, cloud and network infrastructure.
- Oversee specific administrative functions of IT for school.
- Oversee the development and implementation of information systems that provide data as required on a consistent and secure basis.
- Provide in-depth knowledge and experience of contemporary Microsoft Windows and Linux server operating systems and apply to staff.
- Provide in-depth knowledge and experience of contemporary server virtualization technologies including VMware's vSphere and/or Microsoft's Hyper-V.
- Provide experience and expertise with FC and/or iSCSI enterprise storage arrays.
- Provide experience with an enterprise-level Database Management Services (DBMS), particularly Microsoft SQL Server. Review reports and informs leadership of progress and project status.
- Revise computer operating schedule to introduce testing and operating runs.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for all aspects of IT administration in order to maintain their efficient operation.
- Consult with upper-level administrators on a regular basis in setting strategic goals/objectives, and/or in fostering improvements in policies/procedures for the entire school/unit.
- Proactively represent the school through participation in campus meetings and special projects, as well as the University on an external basis with USM headquarters and other system-wide units.
- Maintain IT budgetary responsibility for the school and provide strategic direction and leadership to support staff. Maintain a rolling four-year budget for IT.
- Direct the development, testing, and execution of the "disaster recovery" plan to ensure continued school operations.
- Collaborate with school leaders involved in projects to ensure cooperation and define nature of the project.
- Oversight of School datacenters and cloud computing infrastructure.
- Ensure School complies with USM Security requirements and address IT Audit issues. Performs other duties as assigned.
Note: This position is considered essential to the daily operations within the School of Pharmacy.
Bachelors in Information Technology, Computer Science, Systems Administration, Computer Engineering or a related field.Experience:
Seven (7) years spent progressively building background in various information systems, programming, applications, and operating systems. Supervisory Experience:
Four (4) years of experience at a management/leadership level. Other:
No substitution of experience for minimum education requirement. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of position requirements. Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to support a mission and strategic vision. Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships. Skill in consultation and change management. Ability to manage and motivate four high level professional/technical personnel, a technician and office manager. Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at [email protected]
Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258. UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy If you need a reasonable accommodation for a disability, for any part of the employment process, please contact us at [email protected]
and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Pharmacy - Dean's AdministrationJob Posting:
Mar 23, 2021Unposting Date: