CUSTOMER RELATIONS REPRESENTATIVE, DUKE UNIVERSITY PRESS
Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
This position contributes to the overall revenue goals of Duke University Press by providing excellent customer service and advocating for customer needs, as well as by establishing and maintaining relationships with DUP customers. If interested, please submit the University-required electronic application, including your résumé and cover letter, before close of the position at noon on Friday, April 9, 2021.A. Customer Communication and Order Processing
- Receive and process customer orders for Press products, including books and journalsBecome knowledgeable about Press products and continually update that knowledge through the Press web site, marketing materials, and internal meetingsServe as a primary representative of the Press and its products to customers; interact with wide audience including faculty, students, book and journal editors, authors, institutions, bookstores, and subscription agents
- Master fulfillment system for processing of all orders and customer information; maintain accurate account and order information; update and enter new information Process book trade, course adoption, gratis, and pre-paid orders according to departmental protocolsEnter course information for adoption orders into fulfillment systemPlace journal orders through the Sheridan Back Issue Express (BIE) system; place Print On Demand (POD) orders through Sheridan systemProcess subscription and book claims, using departmental protocols to determine validity of claimProvide price and product availability information to customers upon requestPrepare proforma invoices as requested for print and electronic products (excluding collections)Ensure accuracy of proforma information based on current pricing information
B. Customer Service Team Support
- Contribute to alignment of Customer department goals including excellent service, customer retention and expansion of customer baseProvide feedback to supervisors regarding the efficiency of the customer service processSuggest improvements to the processWork well within group problem-solving situationsParticipate in departmental retreats and meetingsAssume responsibility for special projects as needed such as processing of electronically-transmitted orders, low quantity book returns, subscription cancellations, refunds, and account/order modifications
C. Intra-departmental Collaboration
- Coordinate efforts with marketing departmentsAssist with implementation of special sales, discounts, and multi-product dealsProvide feedback to marketing staff from customers, including problems or concerns regarding web site information and e-commerceRecommend web site FAQ updates based on customer inquiriesCollaborate on annual journals pricing release; collaborate with marketing staff to meet the needs of international, institutional, and consortia customers that may require increased assistance or informationCommunicate with and respond to requests from internal Press customers/stakeholders; coordinate with customer service supervisors and internal stakeholders to determine prioritiesServe as liaison to finance team to confirm receipt of subscription payments, resolve payment questions and discrepancies, and ensure payments are accurately postedProcess society life-time memberships
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills; excellent reading comprehensionDetail-oriented; time management skills; ability to multi-taskBasic mathematical skillsWriting and proofreading skillsProblem-solvingDatabase experienceMicrosoft Office
Work requires knowledge of basic grammar, mathematical and clerical principles normally acquired through a high school education.
Work requires one years of related clerical/office support experience to become familiar with accepted office organization, accounting and communications practices. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.