Job location: Colby College Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
R0000231 Job DescriptionDepartment:
Building TradesPay Rate Type:
Job Summary:The building maintenance technician will be responsible for tasks relating to the general maintenance of building systems in an institutional/educational setting. These include general carpentry areas: casework and furniture repairs, window systems: double hung/casement/sliding, curtainwall, and other glazing installations; flooring: VCT, sheet, carpet and tile; interior wall systems: drywall, plaster, trim and casework; exterior wall systems: wood, pre-insulated metal, brick; roofs: standing and batten seam, slate, shingle, EPDM; and masonry systems: block, brick, granite. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
Building Maintenance Technician
Full-Time, Non-Exempt, Hourly, Staff Appointment
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Repair building systems to include windows, masonry, glass, flooring, walls, and roofs
- Maintain diverse architectural and structural building systems
- Coordinate work with other operations and maintenance shops
- Safely operate power tools and equipment necessary to perform job duties
- Follow all safety rules and procedures
- Respond to emergency calls at all hours to resolve maintenance issues on a rotating call in list; must be able to independently assess situations and form a plan for remedy
- Work in a positive, cooperative manner with other departmental personnel and with members of the Colby community
- Respond independently to work orders and requests
- Able to communicate with a diverse customer base including faculty, staff, students, as well as other internal and external customers
- Demonstrate proactive initiative in completing department’s workload
- Perform work in a prompt, neat, and careful manner that displays common sense, planning, and thoughtfulness
- Notify and/or obtain advice from the building trades supervisor or calls for assistance as may be appropriate in any situation
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Three or more years of experience in building trades
- Certificate of completion from a two-year community college in a building trades program may be substituted for experience
- Specialized training/experience in masonry, roofing, or finish carpentry highly desired
- Sustainable building knowledge or the will to learn highly desired
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills with a high level of motivation
- Ability to make an impact through work as a member of a team and diverse community
- Must be able to work independently, exercise judgment, and manage projects with minimal supervision as well as to adjust as new projects are assigned
- Basic computer skills are desired, i.e., word processing, email, and spreadsheet software
- Valid driver’s license required and must meet the College’s Fleet Safety Policy requirements
This position interacts with faculty, staff, and students as well as internal and external customers.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform the essential functions.
Position hours are Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with rotating on call and overtime as necessary to support operations. General indoor and outdoor physical plant and campus environment. Position involves frequent movement. Must be able to stand, walk, bend, stoop, and lift up to 50 pounds. Driving of College vehicles required. Computer and tool usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply" button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Building Maintenance Technician - Search Committee
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.