Foreign Language Instructor (Japanese, Korean, Spanish, French), Part-Time (non-credit)Requisition Number:
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions.
The TRIO Upward Bound Program at the Community College of Philadelphia is in search of an experienced, energetic high school instructor to facilitate an online, 5-week beginner level class in one of the following foreign languages: French, Japanese, Korean or Spanish. The course will be for rising 9th -12th graders from the Philadelphia School District participating in this extra-curricular college prep program.
This summer all programming for the TRIO Upward Bound program at the Community College of Philadelphia will be virtual and applicants should have experience teaching courses online through a platform such as Canvas or Google Classrooms. The class will run 4 days a week Monday-Thursday beginning July 12th, 2021 and ending August 12th, 2021. The format of the class will include both synchronous and asynchronous learning and will require a variety of teaching methods to present class materials to students who are new to online learning.Specific Responsibilities:
• Demonstrate a sense of connection and responsibility for helping the College to achieve success through a commitment to its mission, vision, and values.
• Demonstrate appropriate use of existing technology to further learning for students. Incorporate instructional technology to support the learning process.
• Communicate effectively, share vision, focus on people, initiate positive change, value differences and foster collaboration. Work with and inspire others to achieve college, department, and individual success. Proactively identify/address problems.
• Establish an inclusive environment in the classroom. Demonstrate an understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of the College’s faculty, staff and students.
• Manage the learning environment with a student-centered focus. Implement diverse teaching and learning strategies that accommodate the learning styles of students.
• Strive for excellence in teaching, applying best practices in field of discipline, and modeling behaviors that encourage student success and retention. Recognize the unique needs, culture, and context of students and advocates for their learning and well-being.
• The position pays $40.00 dollars an hour, 12 hours per week for 5 weeks.Minimum Qualifications:
• All applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in Japanese, Korean, Spanish, French, and teaching experience.
• Bachelor’s degree, and experience teaching Japanese, Korean, Spanish, French.Preferred Qualifications:
• Online teaching experience preferred.Special Instructions to Applicants:
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Names and contact information of 3 professional referenced REQUIRED.
• The deadline for application is Friday, April 30, 2021.
• Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE.Salary Grade or Rank:
$40.00 an hourPosition Type:
FacultyEmployment Status :