Payroll Office Assistant
Job no: 496689
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Finance / Business Support
Reporting the Director of Payroll and Student Employment, this full-time position is responsible for the processing of weekly payrolls to assure that employees are paid timely and correctly. The process of payroll includes transaction processing, handling phone calls, emails and traffic flow within the Office of Payroll. This position works as an integral member of the Payroll Office and the Student Employment Office. This position works closely with other members of the Financial Services Office, the Finance Office and Human Resources along with assisting employees (students, faculty and staff) across the University. This is a full-time, benefits eligible, non-exempt position.
• Gather, review, and verify information flowing into the payroll system including time and attendance reports, special salary requests, student hire notifications, etc.
• Responsible for running and troubleshooting payroll processes and resolving data conflict conditions that prevent employees from being paid in accordance with their Workday system status/records meeting rigid deadlines.
• Coordinates efforts with Student Employment and Human Resources to resolve issues and enter adjustments prior to running final pay calculations.
• Provide customer assistance to university departmental personnel on how to use Workday in relation to tax and payment elections, attendance tracking, and other payroll related functions.
• Respond to inquiries from the campus community and organizations outside Bucknell concerning all matters related to the payroll function, including, but not limited to, information about general tax withholding, and benefit withholding requirements creating a positive experience for constituents.
• Responsible for answering the main payroll phone line and email and routing queries to the appropriate colleagues.
• Provide assistance to students through the employment onboarding process including the completion of related employment documentation (such as W-4, I-9, and direct deposit forms) and teaching of online time tracking system.
• Maintain accuracy and completeness of student employment documentation reaching out to departments and students as needed.
• Coordinates creation and distribution of annual payroll calendars.
• Enters and maintains student employee records and assists in the maintenance of all student positions in system.
• Assist in processing labor costing adjustments.
• Provide back-up support in processing nonresident alien students through software for appropriate tax reporting.
• Complete employment verifications.
• Scan documents for file retention.
• Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
• Support the Finance Office in other areas as appropriate and other duties as assigned.
• Familiarity with payroll accounting practices and procedures.
• Demonstrated experience analyzing numbers in order to determine accurate transactions.
• Familiarity with payroll tax withholding requirements.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of constituents in both written and oral forms.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work with confidential data.
• A results-driven focus with proven problem-solving skills, an ability to troubleshoot situations and manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
• Demonstrated experience with Excel and Word, including the ability to effectively use formulas, organize, interpret and analyze complex data.
• 1-year experience in an accounting or payroll department setting.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Appreciation for and understanding of a mission-oriented University including a focus on exemplary service and the ability to work within a collaborative team environment with cross-functional teams.
• A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
• 3+ years’ experience of payroll processing responsibilities.
• Associate degree in business or related field.
• Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation.
• Experience in a higher education or other non-profit environment.
• Experience with payroll requirements for international hires such as F-1, J-1 and other foreign national employment statuses.
• Experience with complex enterprise resource systems; Workday Payroll a plus.
Ability to lift 10 lbs
Repetitive finger movement.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: 23 Mar 2021 Eastern Daylight Time