Clinical Trials Finance and Billing Coordinator
University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
- Oversees various financial and compliance aspects of the clinical trial with close collaboration to other areas such as billing compliance
- Develop and implement billing compliance SOPs for the division
- Implement and oversee execution of financial policies and procedures related to all facets of the University (CU Marketplace, Peoplesoft, concur, OnCore, etc.)
- Advises DART on the development of clinical trials billing rates and yearly increases
- Resolves patient and sponsor billing issues
- Perform audits/ queries to ensure integrity in billing compliance and identification of missing procedures and research activities for full life cycle of the funds
- Knowledge of the financial process to track patient care from registration and scheduling to the final payment of a balance
- Assist the Division Administrator with managing gift accounts including set up, closures and maintenance of accounts. Ensure accounts are linked to individual ST and review financials through CU Foundation and PS to be sure sufficient funds are available and that spending adheres to the sponsor’s guidelines
- Independently monitors all clinical research revenue, expenses, and speedtypes for the Division of Gastroenterology & HepatologyCreates monthly financial reports for all PI’s that have clinical research funding as well as reports for leadership in the DivisionPresents the fiscal status of DART (clinical research unit of Gastroenterology & Hepatology) to leadership on a quarterly basisIndependently tracks all clinical research revenue and ensures a 100% collection of all clinical trialsGenerates processes and systems to identify if/when clinical trial revenue is late or uncollectedIndependently tracks all clinical research expenses on a monthly basis and ensure accuracy of reportingThis position is responsible for properly allocating all salary & benefits for PI’s, PRA’s, and staff DART salariesSubmit funding changes and Payroll Expense Transfers (PETs) for all clinical research to ensure accurate reporting Review negotiated budget and terms of clinical trial agreements. Prepare timely invoices for division clinical trials.Use On-Core to identify milestones achievements, bill sponsor per contract terms.Reconcile and resolve accounting discrepancies between sponsor budget, University of Colorado Hospital budget and study project accounts. Create standardized templates for invoicing and models for invoice process.Create and compile comprehensive list of clinical trial invoices. Inquire with sponsor regarding remittance. Reconcile and update list regarding received or outstanding payments. Escalate delinquent payments.Establish and maintain ongoing communication with the Office of Grants and Contracts (OGC) regarding remittance to expedite payment processing. Review, address and resolve OGC payments queries to ensure proper study accounting.Identify, prepare, and calculate Journal Entries (J/E), and other sponsored project accounting transactions as required. Work with Research Services Manager and Division Administrator to ensure personnel allocations are properly applied.Evaluate and review clinical trials ready for financial closure. Review study progress and perform comprehensive final billing reconciliation. Reconcile completed services against budget.Identify and prepare no cost extension requests to sponsors and OGC. Independently compile comprehensive list of clinical trials ready for project and contract closure. Reconcile and update list regarding study closure process. Coordinate, prepare reports and conduct meetings with Principal Investigators and/or sponsors to resolve delinquent clinical trials and unresolved payments.Attend Division Administrative Research Team (DART) meetings. Provide suggestions for pre-award contracts and maintain communication with pre-award and regulatory personnel regarding upcoming clinical trial contracts. Provide billing status of active research projects.Provide flexible clinical trial support to the DART as requested. Serve as pre-award back up. Prepare application for sponsoring agency, including the budget and technical portions of the application and all appropriate assurances for UCD approval and submission to sponsoring agency. Prepare institutional forms and coordinate process for internal approval (routing) of application. Include all sponsor specific application guidelines to facilitate the review process. Finalize and submit final proposal to sponsor according to UCD and sponsor guidelines and timelines.
- A bachelor’s degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting , education, social sciences, healthcare administration, public administration, communications, information systems, or a directly related field from an accredited institution
- 2 years of professional level experience
- Experience working with clinical trials3+ years’ experience financial reporting and/or finance/budgeting.3+ years’ experience working in an academic institution
- Experience utilizing University of Colorado systems: PeopleSoft, m-fin reporting, CU Marketplace and InfoEd.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally. Ability to establish and maintain effective, collaborative working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.Outstanding customer service skills.Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Advanced computer skills, including financial analysis functions in Excel.Ability to manage multiple ongoing projects and requests.Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.Ability to manage, communicate, and complete complex team-based projects.Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with 40+ active research projects.Ability to interpret and apply contract terms and conditions to spending within the University system and policy.Understand the unique processes involved in the overall research effort and possess the ability to comprehend the needs of the individual researchers.
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Mar 19, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing