Assoc. Dean for Professional Practice and Diversity, Equity, and InclusionLocation:
New Orleans - DowntownOpen Date:
Feb 22, 2021Description:
The Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (SPHTM) invites applications for the position of Associate Dean of Professional Practice and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. The successful candidate will assume a leadership role working in a highly collaborative manner to ensure the positive integration of public health practice, education, and research. The incumbent will work with faculty and program directors to identify the quality, quantity and variety of practicum, residency, and internship placements needed by each degree program. The Associate Dean for Professional Practice and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will also serve as SPHTM’s Chief Diversity Officer. In addition, the Associate Dean will hold a faculty appointment in one of the School’s departments and serve as the Program Director for the new DrPH in Leadership, Equity, and Advocacy program.
- Strategically plan and build a portfolio of public health practice/practice related initiatives designed to ensure that students graduate with appropriate competencies.
- Work with health systems, community, and global partners to advance the integration of evidence-based practice, as well as equity-minded education initiatives.
- Collaborates with the Directors of Doctoral Programs and MPH on professional preparation all students.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Develop a strategic plan for diversity, equity and inclusion that addresses the School’s commitment to being a diverse, safe, and inclusive learning environment.
- Serve as liaison with the University's Chief Diversity Officer.
- Supervise the completion of a biennial equity score for the SPHTM.
- Develop and implement initiatives to enhance recruitment, retention, and success of diverse faculty and staff.
- Support the development of strategies to enhance the recruitment, retention, and academic success of both graduate and undergraduate students – particularly those from underrepresented groups.
Program Director – DrPH
- Provide overall leadership of the DrPH program.
- Responsible for all modifications to curriculum – initially overseeing the creation of curriculum for the new program.
- Recruitment and evaluation of faculty teaching in the program – including assignment of courses in collaboration with department chairs.
- Plan and evaluate program activities in conjunction with the School’s leadership including but not limited to: coordinating goals and strategies; assessment of student learning outcomes; periodic program reviews; assistance with CEPH accreditation, etc.
- Develop and maintain materials and processes that promote recruitment and retention of students.
- Represent the program’s academic interests in both internal and external endeavors – e.g. convene and coordinate the advisory board, participate in community events, serve as liaison between the program and other campus constituencies, etc.
Required Education and Experience:
- Doctoral degree in public health or related field.
- Demonstrated leadership in a practice area related to public health and/or a public health practice setting.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and differently abled backgrounds of graduate and professional students and employees.
- Experience in online instruction as a faculty member in a higher education setting.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities/competencies Typically Needed to Perform this Position Successfully:
- Demonstrate excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to provide comprehensive understanding of public health practice at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Ability to consult, collaborate, and communicate clearly with both internal and external stakeholders regarding public health practice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Knowledge of current distance education and online learning technologies.
- Leadership experience in a public health practice setting.
- Experience in operational course planning, policy development, and outcome/needs assessment.
- Knowledge of current issues, trends, and best practices in diversity, equity, and inclusion in public health practice settings.
- Experience in creating and maintaining strategic partnerships across several sectors.
Candidates must apply in Interfolio at: apply.interfolio.com/84484 and provide the following materials for submission:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement – this should highlight leadership and teaching philosophies while sharing experiences/positions held in regards to diversity, equity, and inclusion in public health.