SLI Korean Faculty (Part-Time/Temporary) - Summer 2021
Job Title: SLI Korean Faculty (Part-Time/Temporary) - Summer 2021
Location: UNG-Dahlonega, GA
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 224891
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.Job Summary
The University of North Georgia is seeking applications for a faculty position for the Summer Language Institute. The Summer Language Institute (SLI) is an intensive, residential language program. The SLI covers the content of two semesters (1001 + 1002) of language learning in a 6-week period. The successful candidate will design active, engaging, communicative lessons for an eight-hour day, six days a week immersion program. These lessons must aim at achieving a minimum proficiency of Novice-high/Intermediate-low in the ACTFL scale and focus on students¿ competencies, knowledge and skills in aural comprehension, speaking, reading and writing Korean, and assist in appreciating and understanding the culture of the countries where Korean is spoken. Faculty report June 17, 2021. Program dates: June 19 - July 30, 2021.Responsibilities
- Teach first-year Korean language using the UNG program design and curriculum.
- Teach comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing utilizing a communicative approach to language teaching which is compatible with the basic instructional philosophy of the SLI.
- Prepare lessons that enhance students understanding and appreciation of culture of countries where Korean is spoken. Monitor and assess student work. Maintain appropriate student assessment records.
- Supervise language tutors and resident tutors.
- Work collaboratively with other SLI language instructors to design language appropriate activities.
- Plan a language specific field trip to Atlanta.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work collaboratively with campus constituencies.
- Ability to teach in an intensive language setting.
- Master's degree in target Language, Literature, Linguistics, or Foreign Language Education (Language Pedagogy) with an emphasis in target language or closely related field at the time of appointment.
- Experience teaching target language at the university level.
- Native or near-native proficiency in the target language and English.
- Previous experience in intensive language program preferred.
- Cover letter
- Unofficial Transcrips
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with the University of North Georgia, as determined by University of North Georgia in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.Special Applicant Instructions
Please submit contact information for three professional references.