Associate Dean of Students and Operations
Category:: Staff and Administrators
Department:: 2891 (SPS - Graduate Admininstration)
Locations:: Worcester, MA
Posted:: Mar 18, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time - Exempt
Ref. No.:: 190233
Position ID:: 129174
About Clark University:
Founded in 1887, Clark was one of the first all-graduate institutions in the United States. Today the University is a highly-ranked, student-centered institution educating approximately 2,350 undergraduate and 1,150 graduate students to be imaginative and contributing citizens of the world and to advance the frontiers of knowledge and understanding through rigorous scholarship and creative effort. This commitment to scholarship and inquiry reflects the University's commitment to "challenge convention and change our world" and to address issues of critical importance to society. It is also reflected by Clark's many national and international distinctions, including recognition for its diversity and inclusion efforts, innovation, community engagement and impact, as a top green campus, and for having a distinguished geography and international development program. Clark has also been included in the groundbreaking Colleges that Change Lives guide since it was first published in 1996.
Clark is located in Worcester, Massachusetts, a dynamic, diverse city "on the rise." The second largest city in New England, Worcester is home to 11 institutions of higher learning and is increasingly recognized for its growing healthcare and biotechnology communities, its thriving cultural scene, and as a vibrant food hub
Reporting to the Dean of SPS, the Associate Dean for Students and Operations will provide administrative oversight of the School of Professional Studies with a focus on academic operations, the student experience and coordinate with School and University staff to achieve the goals and mission of SPS. The will provide leadership in developing and executing comprehensive services to enable student success, effective communications and a collaborative and collegial work environment.
- Actively participates in the development and implementation of new student orientation programs including management of the SPS Peer Advisor program and other initiative to streamline onboarding of new students and ensuring persistence amongst currently enrolled students
- Design, monitor, and enforce policies and processes that enhance student experience
- Tracks retention, persistence and graduation rates for both the graduate and undergraduate programs and periodically reports on them and ensures they are improving year over year.
- Works in concert with the Director Experiential of Learning and others on outreach to develop and enhance relationships with professional organizations and community partners with the ultimate goal of offering degree and certificate programs to their employees and constituents
- Leads ongoing excellence, equity, and innovation efforts regarding services to students
- Develops and oversee a support network, including academic and career advising, for SPS students
- Liaises with campus partners and community organizations, convenes and serves on committees and working groups, and promotes cross-functional communications and alignment to enable student success
- Responds to student issues
- Partner with faculty to support students
- Provides consult to Admissions and Marketing for recruiting and marketing efforts
- Serves as a senior member of the Dean's senior team that evaluates programs of the School of Professional Studies, plans for future developments, and helps implements strategic plans
- Coordinates selection process for SPS scholarship recipients
- Applies quality process improvement techniques to the School of Professional Studies operations by analyzing efforts and implementing process improvements around the areas of (1) student focus (2) leadership (3) engagement of administration, faculty, and partners (4) policy compliance (5) process improvement (6) evidence-based decision making and (7) relationship building
- Oversees academic operations, e.g., faculty contract, compensation, school communications and academic event scheduling
- Supervise office operations and staff to promote a positive experience for all visitors including the advising and experiential education units.
- Participates in program reviews, prepares monthly activity reports, and offers recommendations for organizational effectiveness as they relate to the student experience.
- Initiate and promote policies and activities that advance diversity, inclusion and equity and create a welcoming learning environment for a diverse and eclectic student body.
- Oversee degree/graduation audit and certification
- Represent the Dean as needed
- Master's degree required; doctoral degree preferred
- An outstanding track record of progressively responsible administrative leadership.
- Experience in higher education as an administrative or faculty member preferred.
- Proven familiarity with the educational needs of adult working professionals, international students and other adult learners especially as it relates to supporting the student experience in a diverse, inclusive and anti-racist learning environment.
- Demonstrated administrative skills in managing, monitoring, and controlling operational processes and policies
- Prior experience working with and contributing to a diverse workplace with the ability to interact effectively with a broad range of constituents on campus
- Experience providing successful leadership and innovations to academic programs, student services, or similar
This is a Full-time position with excellent benefits, which include employee and family tuition benefits, 4 weeks' vacation, generous retirement plan, free use of campus fitness center and many more.
Clark University embraces equal opportunity and affirmative action as core values: we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. This commitment applies to every aspect of education, services, and employment policies and practices at Clark. Our commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. All positions at Clark share in the responsibility for building a community that values diversity and the uniqueness of others by exhibiting integrity and respect in interacting with all members of the Clark community to create an atmosphere of fairness and belonging. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, inclusive of all women, to apply.
To be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online. Create a Clark University Careers Account by clicking on the APPLY NOW button below. You will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover letter
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Already have a Clark University Careers Account? Login to your account to add documents or update your account.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience.