Fire Safety and Controls Systems Technician I
Fire Safety and Controls Systems Technician IPosition Number:
$43,000 - $51,500Job Summary/Description:
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Mechanical Services and Fire Safety – Controls Lead Tech and in coordination with the office of risk management, performs task related to the management of fire and life safety protection systems to include monitoring fire alarm and sprinkler systems, working with contractors, initiating tests, inspections, service and repairs, managing records, generating reports and verifying compliance with state and federal life safety codes and standards. Tracks and manages repairs from fire system test and reports. Conducts checks of fire safety panels and systems and schedules heating/cooling in campus buildings for maximum efficiency and comfort. Interacts with State Fire Marshal and Insurance companies as required.Typical Duties/Job Duties:
1.Schedules contractors to inspect, test, service, and/or repair fire alarm and fire sprinkler systems and follows up to verify work was properly performed, accurately documented, complies with state/federal codes and standards, and systems are properly tagged.
2. Performs basic preventive maintenance and assists in troubleshooting and repairing the fire protection systems within the scope of licensing and regulations.
3. Coordinates, monitors, and maintains records of all fire protection systems to include tests, inspections, service, and repairs and generates system reports as required.
4. Conducts and documents physical checks of all university fire alarm and fire sprinkler systems and verifies fire protection systems are in compliance and operational as required per state/federal codes and standards. Interacts with state and local fire jurisdictions and insurance companies as related to fire systems and life safety.
5. Coordinates fire protection systems maintenance to include administering university work orders and requisitions and obtaining contractor quotes and service tickets.
6. Installs, operates, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs building automation systems.
7. Schedules heating and cooling for events and campus buildings and adjusts set points to ensure comfortable work and learning environments and to optimize efficiency and energy savings.
8. Keeps facilities director and EHSRM informed of the status of the fire protection systems and coordinates/communicates with facilities management personnel, faculty, staff, and contractors.
9. Checks Fire Safety Panels and informs proper personnel of needed repairs or maintenance.
10. Performs preventive maintenance on VFD’s and specialized equipment.
Keeps Lead Technician informed of equipment status and communicates with Facilities Management personnel, faculty, staff and contractors.
11. Attends trainings, seminars, and other meetings as needed.
12. Performs after hour, holiday and weekend support/response as needed for events and in the event of emergencies and offers after hour support via laptop and cell phone.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Basic knowledge and/or the ability to learn state and federal fire and life safety codes and standards.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of fire alarm and fire sprinkler systems as they relate to NFPA Codes and Life Safety.
• Ability to obtain knowledge of university policies and procedures and keep informed of any changes.
• Ability to read and understand complex manuals and diagrams.
• Knowledge of environmental requirements related to fire protection systems and maintenance of those systems.
• Demonstrate initiative and perform quality work in a busy, multi-task environment and to adjust to changing priorities as needed.
• Ability to practice safe working habits and attend/coordinate safety trainings.
• Basic knowledge of math.
• Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Ability to operate fax, scanner, copier, and computers to include generating documents in MS Word, Excel, and Power Point.
• Ability to operate vehicles, forklifts, personnel lifts, industrial hand and power tools, various test meters, data loggers, and calculators.
Knowledge of the principles and practices of building automation systems, including related electrical, electronic and pneumatic controls.
Basic knowledge of plumbing and electricity related to HVAC, Controls and Central Plant issues.Minimum Qualifications:
High school diploma required. Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field preferred but knowledge and training in fire protection/suppression systems and building automation controls will be considered in place of a college degree.
Minimum of 5 years work history with fire safety systems and controls required. Technical school training in Electronics, EMS, or related systems is a plus.
Licensing in various areas of fire protection systems preferred.
Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and have a driving record acceptable to the University’s insurance Company.
Must pass a pre-employment physical.Physical Requirements:
Working in extreme temperatures, lifting up to 75 pounds, carrying up to 20 pounds and pushing up to 100 pounds, repetitive use of hands, arms and legs, reaching above and below shoulder, ability to change positions frequently (sitting to standing, etc…).EEO Statement:
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected].Posting Number:
03/18/2021Open Until Filled: