Payroll and Financial Systems Analyst
The successful candidate will need to assist in the coordination of complex projects across a team of technical developers, functional analysts, and Payroll subject matter experts. To meet these requirements, the candidate will need to combine an in-depth understanding of PeopleSoft Payroll, with technical acumen and knowledge of how to enable these processes to be effective and efficient across a range of systems. In particular, it is essential that the functional analyst have a deep understanding of PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 or higher. This position will contribute across financial business processes, to include the support of a custom Labor distribution application, named Labor Accounting. The analyst will deliver innovative business process design, systems integration support, customer service, and project management. The successful candidate will need to be selfmotivated and organized, highly observant of and sensitive to the culture of the University and its many constituencies, inherently collegial and service oriented, and an excellent communicator. The Office of Finance & Treasury actively searches for staff members of exceptional ability and promise who share in Princeton University's commitment to excellence, and who present a diversity of viewpoints and cultures. We offer varied professional opportunities spanning all aspects of financial management, analysis, and processing in support of the teaching and research mission. As part of the University community, we respect the dignity and individuality of each member while trying to foster a sense of shared experience and common purpose. We are unwavering in our commitment to both diversity and community and embrace the variety of talents, backgrounds, and perspectives of all of our colleagues. “This position offers the flexibility to work remotely within the United States. Employees are expected to have a professional, distraction free environment with reliable high speed internet connection*
Payroll and Financial Systems Analyst
Job ID: 2021-12531
# of Openings: 1
Category: Financial Services and Procurement
The Office of Finance and Treasury at Princeton University seeks a Payroll and Financial Systems Analyst. The Payroll and Financial Systems Analyst will play a critical role in the implementation of process improvement initiatives, system enhancements, and delivery of production support tasks for the University’s PeopleSoft Payroll systems. With a focus on the Payroll business processes, this role will be responsible for addressing business problems and/or opportunities by capturing requirements, documenting processes, and creating functional designs for major projects. Ongoing system maintenance, production support, and operational responsibilities are key components of this position. The analyst will be responsible for test planning and execution, as well as the coordination of production deployments.
Payroll Systems Projects and Process Improvements
- Documents system modifications and enhancement requests for Payroll process changes, regulatory needs, operational requirements, and reports (adhering to approved methodology and documentation standards). Manages PeopleSoft Payroll, PeopleSoft Time and Labor, and Glacier technical projects. Coordinates with applicable technical teams across Campus to initiate, develop, and implement system enhancements.Provides leadership in identifying and defining enhancement opportunities.Collaborates closely with business owners to ensure enhancements and designs satisfy the required needs of the business and campus.Works with functional, technical and reporting peers to identify best approaches to ensure that user requirements are met with a usable, intuitive and efficient solution.Facilitates status, business alignment, issue, and prioritization meetings, in a analyst roleLead and execute functional user acceptance testing with guidance from the project teams. Constructs test scripts and performs detailed testing to ensure that software and reports function correctly. Ability to identify and communicate downstream impacts of enhancements or major projects to impacted stakeholders. Critically evaluates information gathered from multiple sources, reconciles conflicts, decomposes high-level information, and distinguishes user requests from the underlying true needs.Coordinates with Office of Information Technology (OIT) personnel, that includes developers and DBA’s, on addressing technical requirements impacting the overall solution design.Ability to manage time and expectations across multiple projects and concurrent tasks, as well as ability to troubleshoot and resolve production support items.
- Conducts system testing of enhancements, modifications, of updates and images supplied by PeopleSoft.Verifies that data is interfaced properly between PeopleSoft modules and integrating systems. Troubleshoots biweekly and monthly payroll issues. Creates and maintains queries to support reporting and troubleshooting needs.Coordinates and maintains Calendar Year End processes. This would include the application and testing of required PeopleSoft patches and fixes.Delivers systems support to Payroll, Human Resources, and Benefits subject matter experts. Supports Federal and State payroll reporting needs.Provides support with Glacier for the nonresident tax processes.
- Performs system support and operational tasks in the maintenance of a custom Labor Accounting system.As needed, works in a business analyst role on non-payroll system projects as well as support and operational tasksCollaborates with PeopleSoft Financials business analysts supporting Procure to Pay, Grants Management, General Ledger, and Budget modules. Assists with projects and operational activities in these business processes.Provides knowledge transfer to teammates working in other business areas.Needs to work well in a matrix environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in technology related field or business administration or equivalent work experience of three or more years in a payroll systems support role.
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience in a business analyst role.
- In depth understanding of PeopleSoft Payroll processes and underlying data structures. Ability to troubleshoot operational payroll issues, and identify and implement business process improvements and/or system changes.
- Proven ability to gather requirements and create functional specifications that can be worked on by a developer
- Proven ability to manage and execute system testing.
- Recent and deep experience with PeopleSoft Payroll 9.0 or higher. This includes payroll configuration, production support and projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Advanced SQL and query report writing skills.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills.
- PeopleSoft Time and Labor experience
- PeopleSoft Commitment Accounting experience
- PeopleSoft Contract Pay experience
- PeopleSoft Financials experience
- Knowledge of Glacier Tax software.
- Project Management experience