Vice President of Student Life
The University of Saint Mary is a Roman Catholic, liberal arts university located in Leavenworth, Kansas, just 25 minutes away from Kansas City. For over 90 years, the University of Saint Mary has helped students find their way to meaningful lives and careers through an education that blends the liberal arts and a focus on critical thinking with the development of key professional skills. USM serves about 1,400 students at its main campus in Leavenworth, its satellite location in Overland Park, as well as online.
The VP of Student Life champions the University of Saint Mary's core values and mission and she/he leads the University's division of student life. The of VP Student Life has administrative responsibility for the leadership, management, planning, and development of all student life policies, services, budget. The VP Student Life oversees resident life, student engagement, public safety, campus ministry and campus counseling. In this role the VP Student Life supports and executes the strategic plan as it applies to this division.
- Develops, communicates, and implements a vision of student life that flows from the university’s mission and its Vincentian and Sister of Charity roots. This vision and plan also must advance the strategic plan of the university.
- Develops and sustains a welcome culture and a safe environment for students to learn and grow Reviews and updates as necessary the student handbook
- Oversees student conduct within the philosophy of restorative justice
- Ensures resident halls are safe places for students to grow in their understanding of themselves and the core value of community
- Ensures students have sufficient and appropriate co-curricular activities in keeping with the university’s mission and heritage
- Plans for and develops policies, procedures, services, and resources to meet the curricular needs of the University of Saint Mary
- Assesses the division’s KPI’s and provides for ongoing improvement planning
- Recruits, supervises, and coaches staff to provide a cohesive, enthusiastic, professional and mission driven team
- Develops job descriptions, conducts evaluations, and initiates personnel actions as needed
- Administers the budget and develops additional revenue sources (grants, gifts, etc.)
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships within the division and university community
- Keeps abreast of emerging trends and issues in student affairs by reading current literature, communicating with colleagues, and participating in professional meetings and workshops
- Master’s degree in higher education or other related field
- 5+ years related experience, including a record of increasing supervisory responsibility
- Previous budgetary experience
- Demonstrated success in student engagement
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Affinity with the overall mission of the University of Saint Mary
Saint Mary is an Equal Opportunity Employer.