Vice President, Facilities & Business Operations
The University of Central Florida (UCF) is currently seeking a Vice President for Facilities and Business Operations. UCF is a thriving research university located in metropolitan Orlando, which has ranked #1 in the U.S. for job growth four years in a row. Founded in 1963 to provide talent for Central Florida and the growing U.S. space program, UCF has been making an impact on the state, the nation - and outer space - ever since. With 13 colleges, including a fully accredited College of Medicine, UCF offers more than 230 degree programs from the main campus, downtown campus, hospitality campus, academic health sciences campus, and through 11 UCF Connect centers located throughout the region. UCF has more than 72,000 students and 13,000 diverse faculty and staff.
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President of Administration & Finance, the VP Facilities and Business Operations oversees all aspects of facilities maintenance to include planning and construction, grounds and landscaping, and custodial services. In addition to the broad portfolio of facilities management, the position also oversees business operations that include, the bookstore, parking services, and business services for the University of Central Florida. Provides leadership and direction in policy development and implementation relating to the Campus Master Plan, Space Utilization, and Facility Program Development efforts; interprets and administers policies established by federal, state, and local agencies; and provides policy interpretation and direction by advising University committees and administration concerning the physical development of the campus, parking and transportation services, and business services.
• Oversees facilities, providing strategy, direction, and leadership to support the UCF mission and goals. Provides timely and accurate analyses of budgets, project proposals, and business trends in the areas of responsibility. Evaluates present and future needs for facilities and real estate, and develops the Capital Improvement Plan, the Campus Master Plan, and the Capital Expenditure Plan. Oversees the operation and maintenance of all UCF facilities, real estate, and grounds, as well as the infrastructure and utilities to support them.
• Fosters the creation and maintenance of an attractive campus environment that contributes to a sense of place, advances learning, and reflects UCF's commitment to stewardship of human, financial, and natural resources. Operates building systems efficiently to foster sustainable growth. Promotes a safety culture at UCF and provides a safe, healthy environment to support UCF's teaching, research, and service mission.
• Oversight of Public Education Capital Outlay, Capital Improvement Trust Fund, donor, and related project construction budgets and funds, and PO&M, Utilities Infrastructure, Minor Projects, Campus Enhancement, Auxiliary, and other operational and salary budgets and funds.
• Represents UCF with members of the university community on a regular basis. Interacts with the UCF Board of Trustees, the Board of Governors of the State University System of Florida, community leaders, local and state public officials, and business partners. Participates on committees and assists the Senior Vice President in all matters involving campus facilities, planning, parking and transportation services, and business services.
• The scale of facilities and safety areas include the following departments: Facilities Planning and Construction, Downtown Campus Facilities, Sustainability Initiatives, Facilities Operations, Landscape and Natural Resources, Utilities and Energy Services, Resource Management, Quality Management and Improvement, and dual reporting for Facilities and Human Resources and Payroll Support.
• Provides leadership, management oversight, strategic planning, resource management, and develops, recommends, and implements university policies relating to the departments of Business Services and Parking and Transportation Services.
• Assists the Senior Vice President with developing new strategic business opportunities and maximizing existing business enterprises on campus, strategic planning, financial and operational management, facility planning, development, and management of contracts and agreements for Business Services. Provides oversight for the preparation and administration of the annual budget for all areas assigned. Monitors all revenues, expenditures, and monthly financial reports while providing a clear audit trail of all transactions involving the areas of oversight. Leadership oversight for all assets of Business Services and the development and implementation of all fiscal procedures. Responsible for meeting the requirements of Section 215.422, Florida Statutes, as amended, regarding the approval and/or processing of vendors’ invoices and/or distribution of warrants to vendors.
• Provides strategic and operational oversight of all parking and transportation systems on the university main campus, Creative Village, Health Sciences Campus, and the Rosen School of Hospitality. Scope of influence includes parking enforcement, permit sales, transportation programs, maintenance programs, and visitor information services, preventative maintenance programs for university-owned parking facilities, including parking structures and surface parking lots at on and off-campus locations. Develops and presents analytical and financial strategies for facility expansion, increase in permit fees, transportation access fees, and new construction to senior management.
Bachelor's or Master's Degree and 15+ years of relevant experience, including 7+ years leadership experience.
• Ability to interact and communicate effectively internally and externally with stakeholders including community leaders and local and state public officials, excellent oral and written communication skills, and working knowledge of facilities and safety management in a large, complex organization. • Ability to develop strategy and manage change. • Ability to establish mission and goals at the macro-level; to lead subordinate management to develop goals in alignment with mission. • Strategic mindset with an ability to think through complex challenges, develop collaborative solutions and execute in ways that align with the organization's core values, with political savvy. • Significant public and/or private business experience. • Analytical, with demonstrated experience using data and analytics to drive decision making.
The successful candidates should possess the following qualities and characteristics:
• Demonstrated ability to foster a community with a culture of inclusiveness that holds all of its members accountable for creating, supporting, and championing diversity and the expansion of opportunity and a commitment to equity.
• Proven commitment to transparency, integrity and demonstrated values that align with those of UCF.
• Demonstrated commitment to service with a positive, proactive, and enthusiastic outlook.
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Commitment to adhering to and developing high standards of ethical conduct, compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, and appropriate financial oversight and controls.
• A decisive, forward-thinking individual who brings a high level of courage, good judgment, common sense, wisdom, and insight and who can serve as a partner to the members of the senior leadership team.