Preventive Maintenance Mechanic, HVAC
Preventive Maintenance Mechanic, HVAC
Mar 12, 2021
The Preventive Maintenance Mechanic (HVAC) is responsible for the preventive maintenance (PM) and safety compliance of all heating and air conditioning systems for Hamilton College Buildings and Infrastructure as directed by management. In addition, this position is responsible for ensuring that all heating and air conditioning systems and equipment are maintained in accordance with the highest achievable building and infrastructure standards.
We expect each employee to act in a professional manner and to comply with the College’s Community Values. We expect that each employee will share the common values of respect and decency toward one another, as outlined in the college’s Strategic Plan.
- Develops and fosters a collaborative work environment among the HVAC/ Plumbing, Electrical staff and across Facilities Management in accordance with Facilities Management Community Values document. This team approach is imperative to maintain a positive image to the entire campus community.
- Responsible for the preventive and routine maintenance of all heating and air conditioning systems as outlined in the Facilities Management Preventive Maintenance (P/M) program. Including, but not limited to:
- Air Handlers: Change filters, adjust belts, grease motors, bearings and fans, clean coils
- Air Compressors: change oil, check and repair air dryers
- Monthly inspections and documentation: exit signs, emergency lights, fire extinguishers
- Clean and maintain dryer venting
- Repair exhaust fans, change lamps
- Perform PM repairs to kitchen equipment
- Respond to emergency calls
- Performs inspections of all College buildings to ensure appropriate maintenance standards, documents inspections and reports major malfunctions and deterioration of equipment to management.
- Coordinates with Management and/or other Facilities Management personnel for the purpose of completing projects and work orders efficiently.
- Serves as a quick response mechanic on a daily bases through work control and as directed by management.
- Responsible for the safety and cleanliness of all equipment and building work areas.
- Participates in meetings, workshops, training, seminars, etc for the purpose of advancing knowledge, skills and ability.
- Keep appearance of equipment and building work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
- Willingness to continue ones education and or training in given fields.
- Responds to routine and/or emergency calls for repairs or service from events/situations, including but not limited to, violence, and terrorism,
- Position is expected to work a reasonable amount of overtime as determined by the college.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management
- High School Diploma plus ten (10) years of mechanical experience and a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in HVAC maintenance environment. Technical degree and/or professional certifications in a relevant field required. Knowledge of all types of HVAC, Plumbing and Electrical work, and institutional maintenance.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Experience with Windows-based personal computer system is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of generally accepted mechanical best practices and working procedures, OSHA regulations, OSHA 10 certification is preferred, proper use of tools, equipment and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of building and safety code requirements.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to recognize and select appropriate materials for assigned projects.
- Ability to maintain cooperative, professional, and respectful working relationships with all employees, contractors, students, vendors, and business partners of the college.
- Ability to work independently or in a team- oriented environment.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
- Knowledge of mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems. How they are designed to work and what maintenance or adjustments must be made to ensure proper operation.
- Must have a though and complete appreciation for the importance of preventive maintenance.
Please submit cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.