Assistant Professor - Soil Chemistry-Crop and Soil Sciences
PG190845EPInternal Recruitment :
Assistant Professor - Soil Chemistry-Crop and Soil SciencesAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with Experience.Work Schedule:
40 hours per week ( times may vary)Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Department of Crop and Soil SciencesAbout the Department:
The Department of Crop and Soil Sciences encompasses diverse disciplines in research extension and teaching. The department’s mission is to develop future leaders in crop, soil and environmental sciences, improve crop plants and products, devise effective and sustainable crop production systems, devise effective and sustainable soil management techniques in both agriculture and urban settings; and disseminate crop, soil, and environmental science knowledge for the benefit of users and producers of food, feed turf, biofuels and fiber in North Carolina, the nation and the world.Essential Job Duties:
- The Department of Crop and Soil Sciences in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at North Carolina State University is pleased to announce recruitment for a tenure-track Assistant Professor with specific expertise in soil chemistry with formal appointments in research (70%) and academic programs (30%). This position is critical to both departmental teaching and research missions.
- We seek a successful candidate who would bring critical basic research expertise that complements departmental and college efforts, such as increasing carbon sequestration in soils, improving water quality, and enhancing plant nutrient use and fertilizer efficiency. This research may help to manage non-point source contaminant issues and provide guidance to industries to help mitigate pollution, and thus protect natural resources and human health. The soil chemist will engage in basic to applied research on the chemistry of soils.
- The individual will have specific expertise in strategic research areas, such as water quality, plant nutrient chemistry, or carbon cycling in soils. We anticipate that the successful candidate would couple laboratory and field experiments with cutting-edge spectroscopic, microscopic, and analytical approaches.
- The incumbent would also teach graduate soil chemistry, and another course to be determined based on department’s needs. The successful candidate will also seek out ways of obtaining extramural funding to support the program.
- Inclusiveness and diversity are academic imperatives and thus are university goals. We are particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for students from underrepresented groups.
- The position may be required to travel to and from campus to field locations and research stations.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- PhD in Soil Science or a related field.
- The successful candidate should have specific expertise in soil chemistry that complements strategic research areas, such as water quality, plant nutrient chemistry, or carbon cycling in soils.
- Previous research experience is essential.
- Excellent written and communication skills with demonstrated ability to publish peer-reviewed research in internationally recognized journals.
- Previous successful experience in obtaining extramural funding.
- Specific expertise in understanding the speciation, transformation, fate, and transport of chemicals in soils and water.
- Valid NC Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire.
YesCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
03/10/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Applicant Required Documents: Cover Letter, CV, Description of Proposed Research Activities, Statement of Teaching Philosophy, and Contact Information for Three (3) Professional References.
Tenured/Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
1.00Mandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
110901 - Crop and Soil SciencesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.