University of Colorado Foundation
For over 50 years, the University of Colorado Foundation has partnered with the University of Colorado to enhance philanthropic support for CU. Private support for the University, given through the philanthropic portal of the Foundation, enables the University to transform lives through education, research, clinical care and community engagement.
The Foundation focuses its efforts on donor stewardship through customer service and assurance in gift acceptance, processing and administration. During fiscal year 2019, the Foundation processed over 74,000 gifts and commitments. The Foundation invests and allocates gift funds in a manner consistent with the purposes established by donors, and distributes dollars from its managed funds to support a wide variety of programs and activities throughout the University system and on its four campuses.
The CU Foundation is seeking a full-time Senior Accountant reporting directly to the Controller. This position is responsible for general ledger accounting, including analysis of business transactions to prepare journal entries, portions of the month-end close process, financial data preparation, account analysis and reconciliations. This position will take a lead role in processing complex transactions related to security sales, real estate sales, and other transactions ensuring accuracy in accounting for these transactions using GAAP guidelines. The successful applicant will have the skills necessary to develop, interpret, and implement moderate to complex financial accounting concepts or techniques for financial planning, reporting, and control. Essential Duties:
- Records/approves accounting transactions within the guidelines of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and not-for-profit accounting.
- Reviews balance sheet account reconciliation, identifies errors, and provides feedback for corrections. Reconciles and analyzes balance sheet accounts; posts adjustments and corrections as needed. This includes bank reconciliation to the general ledger.
- Serves as a resource and subject matter expert to internal and external customers regarding their requests and questions.
- Serves as a key participant in monthly and quarterly business financial reviews. Analyses data and troubleshoots problems.
- Posts and review journal entries as required.
- Reviews, posts and/or adjusts complex gift transactions. Recommends proper accounting treatment of gifts and pledges to the Controller or CFO.
- Participates in updating policies and procedures related to finance and accounting activities.
- Performs backup duties in multiple areas when other accounting staff are out of the office.
- Assists the Controller and CFO in identifying and mitigating organizational risk.
- Assists with the annual audit, tax returns and other compliance tasks.
- Continually documents processes and recommends improvements for all assigned duties.
- Medical: Two plan options
- Dental: Two plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, and Vision
- Retirement 401(k) Plan: Employer contributes up to 6% of your gross pay, per plan terms
- Paid Time Off:
- Vacation and Sick Days: 25 (first two years)
- Holiday Days: 10 flex days
- Strong current knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Proven ability to apply broad conceptual judgment and initiative to deal with complex accounting issues.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Thorough knowledge of financial and Internal Revenue Service regulations.
- Solid ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Solid ability to organize, manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously, meet deadlines and follow up to ensure completion/resolution.
- Computer proficiency required, especially as related to the software referenced under “software utilized” (see below).
- Must be open to taking on new duties and projects. Flexibility is required.
- Ability to function in a team-oriented environment.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience required; CPA preferred. MBA a plus.
- Minimum of four (4) years accounting experience required, preferably in auditing and non-profit accounting.
- Microsoft Office Products, including Word, Excel, Outlook; accounting software; donor database software. Experience with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge software a plus.
- Not required for this position.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Mar 11, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing