John A. Logan College is seeking applicants for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in cosmetology beginning in the fall 2021 semester. The College desires a dedicated instructor who fosters and promotes a collegial atmosphere and places student learning and success as top priorities. Successful candidates will be responsible for teaching cosmetology theory and lab courses as needed in both face-to-face and online formats. Faculty are covered under a 9-month contract period (August through May) and are required to teach a minimum of 15 credit hours and serve eight office hours per week for student consultation in fall and spring semesters. Additional teaching opportunities with compensation may be available in the summer semester.
Specific Job Duties:
• To instruct students in the facts and skills pertaining to assigned courses.
• To conduct classes as scheduled.
• To consider the needs of the students and assist them by seeking help from other college services.
• To distribute to all students a course syllabus that covers the class requirements, grading procedure, attendance requirements, and course objectives.
• To inform students of educational and occupational opportunities.
• To utilize instructional technology for online learning and record-keeping.
• To update curriculum, prepare outlines, and select textbooks.
• To submit midterm and final grade reports, attendance records, early alerts, and other reports pertaining to assigned courses by required due dates.
• To establish partnerships and dual credit opportunities with district high schools.
• To serve as the lead instructor for the cosmetology program.
• To ensure cosmetology program meets all state requirements.
• To prepare and maintain efficient program budget for instruction, supplies, and equipment.
• To maintain a safe and organized lab, including accurate control of tools, equipment, and supplies.
• To actively engage business and industry partners and work with an advisory committee to assure program meets industry needs.
• To recruit students to the cosmetology program.
• To assist in identifying adjunct faculty and work with them to make sure instructional objectives are met.
• To stay current in the field and with instructional practices by participating in professional development.
• To participate on college committee(s).
• To participate in accreditation, assessment activities, and program review.
• To perform other duties as outlined in the Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• To represent the College credibly with respect to any of its activities, and observe, support, and enforce the regulations, policies, and programs of the College.
Bachelor’s degree in education or related field
Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a cosmetologist
Minimum of 2 years’ experience teaching or training in the cosmetology field
Current State of Illinois cosmetology instructor or license
Community college teaching experience
Online teaching experience
Master’s degree in education or related field
Deadline to Apply: April 23, 2021, at the close of business
John A. Logan College is an established, growing, and innovative higher education institution. In fall 2020, the College enrolled 3,310 students in baccalaureate-transfer and career education programs. Carterville is located in southern Illinois and is within ten minutes of a major university and within two hours of St. Louis, MO.
The College has been affiliated with the NEA/IEA for thirty-nine years. Starting salary is determined by educational level and teaching experience as per contract salary schedule, and opportunities exist for overload and summer teaching. The College provides an excellent fringe benefit package. Further information about the College may be obtained at www.jalc.edu.
Send a John A. Logan College faculty application, resume, copy of all transcripts and required licenses, and the names, telephone numbers, and email addresses of four professional references to [email protected] or to the address listed below.
John A. Logan College
Attn: Office of Human Resources (B215)
700 Logan College Drive
Carterville, IL 62918
618-985-2828 Ext. 8273
John A. Logan College is an affirmative action institution and is committed to equal opportunity for all. Women, minorities, and those with a commitment to diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply for Cosmetology Instructor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly