Business Systems Analyst 4 (0657U) - 16214
Business Systems Analyst 4 (0657U) - 16214 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Enterprise Applications is a unit within the Office of the Chief Information Officer. The unit provides application systems development and best practices for enterprise and unit-specific application software in support of administrative functions, academic functions, and public service. The objective of the Student Information System (SIS) Organization is to maintain and improve the newly implemented student systems. The system includes admissions, enrollment, registration, financial aid, student accounts, advising, and a student portal. Work includes system improvements and service enhancements to better meet the needs of the campus community.
The Office of the CIO and Information Services & Technology (OCIO/IST) believe in and foster a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, members of the OCIO/IST community have created and endorse the following values for our organization to augment and amplify the campus principles:
We champion diversity.
We act with integrity.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
Analyst/Service and Support Team Member:
Applies advanced technical expertise, service design, and business analysis concepts to:
- Perform highly complex analysis of business processes and user needs, documentation of requirements, and translation into the proper system and process requirement specifications for Campus Solutions, Student Records module. Apply advanced business systems concepts to define highly complex systems scope and goals based on both user needs and a good understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements. Initiate and design automated system specifications where there are no standardized policies or procedures. Work at the highest technical level of most phases of systems analysis while considering the business implications of the application of technology to the current and future business environment. Document service activities in support systems that facilitate quality service metrics reporting. Identify and advocate for appropriate support resources needed to deliver service within established service levels. Lead service teams comprised of support and technical specialists to facilitate support and planning for service improvement projects. Establish and maintain support model and service documentation (e.g., knowledge base, trainings/workshops, consultations, web-presence, etc.). Define and monitor support processes, key performance metrics, and resources required to deliver the service within established service levels. Manage service communications to stakeholders, constituents, and “customers”; and coordinate feedback from the community regarding future directions. Coordinate “Tier 2+” incident/problem management. Lead and/or organize the work of student employees. Mentor experienced Business Systems Analysts.
Project Team Member:
Serves as a member of cross-functional service improvement project teams to:
- Provide technical expertise in identifying, evaluating, and developing the most complex business systems and procedures to meet user requirements. Apply advanced business systems concepts to design details of complex automated systems. Coordinate functional, design, and technical teams to facilitate complex service implementation/transition projects: rollout (operationalization), improvements, and decommissioning. Gather, analyze, prepare, and summarize business and user needs, documenting requirements, and revising existing system logic difficulties as necessary. Develop complex user interface designs. Plan and execute complex unit integration and acceptance testing. Write Requests for Proposals (RFPs) or provide input to RFP documents. Write Requests for Information (RFIs) or provide input to RFI documents. Provide user support and training on new applications.
- Requires advanced knowledge of or ability to quickly learn Campus Solutions, Student Records module.
- Advanced knowledge of related areas of IT.
- Knowledge relating to the design of processes and software across the organization.
- Advanced skills and methodologies associated with process and software design, modification, and implementation.
- Demonstrated skills needed to develop process and system implementation plans.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others from diverse backgrounds.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team.
- Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates problem-solving skills.
- Advanced knowledge of business processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated testing and test planning skills.
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Interpersonal and communications skills to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and support technical integrations (e.g., APIs, Campus Solution Bolt-ons).
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Demonstrated experience with process analysis, systems analysis, process architectures, and systems analysis methodologies and practices including traditional waterfall, Agile, Agile Scrum, UML, UML Enterprise, etc.
- Understanding and skill in complex process and systems requirement documentation standards, such as Use Case modeling, User Story creations, and narrative description.
- Knowledge of GT eForms functionality.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn other Campus Solutions modules (Campus Community, etc.).
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
The minimum posting duration of this position is 14 calendar days. The department will not initiate the application review process prior to March 24, 2021.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=16214&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency