Lead Laboratory Research Specialist
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Center for Vaccine Development and Global Health (CVD) brings together more than four decades of innovative and life-saving research on vaccines and infectious diseases. http://www.medschool.umaryland.edu/cvd/. As an organized research center within the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM), CVD comprises a multi-disciplinary team of faculty and staff whose primary mission is to develop, evaluate, and implement vaccines and other interventions to reduce illness and mortality domestically and in less developed countries. We work to prevent and treat enteric and respiratory diseases, to reduce the threat of malaria and antimicrobial resistance, and to identify, understand and combat other tropic and emerging pathogens burdening low resource settings. Training is a critical component of our work to ensure the foundation for the next generation of scientists and researchers committed to our mission.
The CVD is seeking a Lead Laboratory Research Specialist to join our Molecular Diagnostics Section. The applicant will oversee clinical microbiology activities for a new study to determine the incidence of Shigella in developing countries.
NOTE: This position will require significant travel to seven field sites in Africa, Asia and South America.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. Primary Duties:
- Independently leads laboratory research activities by ensuring design, development, documentation and implementation of research procedures and protocols using a variety of complex activities. Leads the development and execution of project research studies. Revises studies, in consultation with upper management or principal investigator, to meet changing needs and requirements and enforces standards.
- Develops and monitors quality improvement (QI), quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) programs at international sites. Identifies deficiencies at international sites and develops a corrective plan. Develops procedures and training materials to facilitate education and training.
- Plans and executes site visits to the relevant international study site laboratories as needed.
- Coordinates and monitors external quality assurance (EQA) programs.
- Develops, reviews, and revises Standard Operating Procedures and Case Report Forms, writes reports, writes protocols and other materials as needed.
- Provides day-to-day laboratory operations oversight, including monitoring the budget, ensuring quality control and safety compliance, developing policies and procedures, and ordering supplies. Identifies and addresses issues and deficiencies and implements effective solutions.
- Assembles and assists with literature research, editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations, and computer graphics for publication. Prepares material for journal articles and grant proposals.
- Compiles, analyzes, and interprets research data using various relevant computer software applications. Presents research findings.
- Performs administrative duties such as: training and guiding students and/or other laboratory technicians; develops policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation; and ordering supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry, microbiology or field of study related to the research of the laboratory.
Experience: Five (5) years experience in laboratory research, including three (3) years microbiology experience.
Preferred Experience: Experience with Good Clinical Laboratory Practices preferred.
Other: May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials, and/or ionizing radiation.
May consider a combination of directly related experience and education. Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Centers/Programs/ORCs
Job Posting: Apr 19, 2021
Unposting Date: May 3, 2021, 10:59:00 PM