School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Duke Department of Medicine
Business Systems Analyst
The Duke Department of Medicine is adding a data analyst to our central data/finance team.
- Queries and analyzes data, develop visualizations and performs analyses. Guides information discovery and offers recommendations to enable effective decision making.
- Provides analytical/ad-hoc and project management support for various organizational and service line initiatives. Collaborates with the cross functional project team on planning, implementation, and testing of the database and system upgrades.
- Supports the existing balanced scorecard program. Assists in the development of performance measures, target methodologies, and thresholds and ensure the accuracy of measurement results.
- Consults with customer on business needs translates business needs into analytics/reporting requirements, interfaces with the Infrastructure team to ensure successful delivery of reporting, dashboards and information tools.
- Ensures the systems are used and the data is structured in such a way to support the highest level of reporting and strategic planning needs of the organization, while at the same time meeting the daily reporting needs of the administrative units.
- Ensures data integrity to maintain consistency and accuracy of data collected from or passed to various sources.
- Designs and deploys templates in the system as well as frontend webpages for reports and queries on the data.
- Advises users and administration on how best to use these systems to support their activities.
- This includes consulting on issues of effective work processes.
- Analyzes data and prepares reports setting forth progress, trends, and recommendations.
- Anticipates data and reporting needs as new programs and processes are developed in these areas.
- Troubleshoots user reported problems, escalating was necessary to content experts, central IT staff (e.g., OIT, DHTS, ASM), or departmental IT support staff.
- Maintains system documentation.
- Builds consensus on shared data elements and reporting needs across schools/departments.
- Ensures that required interfaces with other systems and internal and external organizations are developed and maintained.
- Promotes and directs future systems enhancements as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Energetic, self-starter and innovative problem solver
- Excellent interpersonal, as well as written and verbal communication skills to interact with a variety of personalities at all levels, exercising tact, sound judgment, diplomacy, and flexibility to promote positive working relationships and job effectiveness.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to identify problems and develop innovative solutions
- Proven ability to research, gather and organize information to produce concise reports using various resources
- Ability to navigate multiple projects, deadlines and a dynamic work environment
- Sound process improvement facilitation skills
- Oracle, MS-SQL, or SAS programming\SQL skills
- Tableau proficiency a plus
- Healthcare domain experience a plus
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education/Training: Work requires a Bachelor's degree.
Experience: 3 years combined business/work analyst, software QA, or user support/training experience, OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.